Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 7261 times)

Offline signal

• View Profile
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
    "I carry" --- If you do carry a firearm on your person,
and you do so legally, then you have completed a CCW
course, which teaches gun safety, and gives you the
permit to carry a firearm.
     WHICH IS MY POINT - mandatory gun safety classes.

If it's OK for handguns, so that you can carry one,
why not for all guns and gun owners? Please note that
the CCW requirement has not stopped anyone from owning
a gun.
      Senator Diane Feinstein (D), of California, has introduced
a bill which would reinstate the now lapsed assault gun ban.
It would ban 157 different kinds and models of military style
assault rifles, and any clips that hold more than 10 rounds.
For those of you who have heard that this is another liberal
attempt to take away you right to own a gun, the "liberal"
media, in the same story, pointed out that this bill, if it
became law, would still permit the sale and ownership of
more than 2,000 other makes and models of firearms to
you and your fellow citizens!!!

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
We live in MI.  We do not need a license to carry as long as the gun we carry is NOT concealed.  If you drap your shirt over it, put it in your pants, holster it under you skirt....etc you must have a concealed carry permit!

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
We live in MI.  We do not need a license to carry as long as the gun we carry is NOT concealed.  If you drap your shirt over it, put it in your pants, holster it under you skirt....etc you must have a concealed carry permit!

Good point.  I wonder what our trusty school door "monitors" or "greeters" or "security" or whatever you want to call them (I call them a WASTE of money) would do if this legally armed person came to the door?  Probably call the police LOL. 

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
KIP,  I would hope they called the police if someone showed up at a school carrying a gun.  Might be legal but with what has been going on i wouldn't want to take the chance.  Maybe the school has a policy of "having a right to enter".  If a person has no relation with the school they why let them in.

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »
KIP,  I would hope they called the police if someone showed up at a school carrying a gun.  Might be legal but with what has been going on i wouldn't want to take the chance.  Maybe the school has a policy of "having a right to enter".  If a person has no relation with the school they why let them in.

My point was the school district had 2 qualified and visible police officers working in the schools until December when the district cut one due to "budget" concerns.  And then they place 11 door monitors in the school buildings for security and this cost twice as much as the second deputy did!!  Doesn't make much sense to me.   And now I understand that Mr. White has asked the Sheriff and the township to have the township paid deputies patrol inside every building every day, and they have agreed.  That is a wonderful idea, BUT who is patrolling our roads, subdivisions and businesses when the deputies are in school everyday?  If the school wants an increased police presence, then bring back the second deputy.  The school should PAY FOR extra services just like the rest of us do in this township. 

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
A person can openly carry a handgun in a school, but only if they also possess a Concealed Pistol License. 

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »
A person can openly carry a handgun in a school, but only if they also possess a Concealed Pistol License.

I do not believe you can carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in a school or school property . I believe there are several other places you can't carry unless you're a police officer.  (i.e., sports arenas, day care, bars, church etc.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Offline randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »

I do not believe you can carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in a school or school property . I believe there are several other places you can't carry unless you're a police officer.  (i.e., sports arenas, day care, bars, church etc.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Hondo, yes a person can LEGALLY carry an open firearm on school property.  When the State expanded the CPL laws and allowed more citizens to obtain them, the legislature designated "no carry" zones such as arenas, banks, church, etc. like you described, and schools were included on that list.  However, the restricted zones do not apply to an openly carried firearm, only a concealed weapon.  Kind of contradictive I know.

Offline BUZZARDCS

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
My wife and I have been watching with great interest over the last few months the ongoing debates in this forum about gun control and the varrying opinions expressed by those involved, both informed and totally uninformed.  It's no wonder the people who "think" they may have answers or "might" be able to answer questions of others by simply posting here make this issue so darn impotant. The answers to all of these posts are very simple. Take a gun safety course, period!  Weither you own a gun now, are going to get a gun, or never will own one,  you will receive the training and information you need to give you the tools to answer questions you have. The "informed" folks, law enforcement, CPL holders, etc. have already been exposed to this information through testing and knoledge of gun laws and safety.  The costs of these programs is minamil compared to the wealth of information you will receive, and you can USUALLY complete the course in one weekend, tops.
I received my CPL years ago and my wife completed her course last June after never having fired a firearm until I took her out a few weeks before her class began, and guess what, she's a darn good shot, not afraid of her firearm, and now feels much safer when she's by herself.  I'm very proud of her and you will be of yourself too. I've never met a law enforcement official who thought that educated, armed citizens were a bad thing. Most even encourage it.
As far as home defense weapons are concerned, my Mossberg JIC shotgun will do just fine, it "sleeps" by us every night. But Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson also live here too!
Information is a very powerful thing, seek it out and use it to your advantage, and good luck!

Offline BUZZARDCS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »
Opps, forgot to mention, we strongly urge our reprosentatives to make it a federal offense to use ANY gun in the commission of a felony with a punishment of a manditory 10 year sentance BEFORE serving any other type of related sentance.   AND, manditory background checks are a part of obtaining a CPL.

Offline signal

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
     Interesting story this morning on the Today show,
illustrating the hypocrisy of the NRA. "Smart guns"
are now becoming available. They cannot be fired
by someone not wearing the ring or wristband worn
by the gun's owner. One has been invented by no
less a person than one of the Mossberg family, makers
of excellent shotguns. This is in response to the approx.
500,000 (yes, half a million) guns reported stolen or
lost in the U.S. last year, and the 600 accidental shooting
deaths (not to mention those only wounded), many by
guns being handled by someone other than the owner-
children and houseguests, for example.
   The response by the President of the NRA was very
illuminating. He opposes this attempt to make guns
safer. His reason: it might make guns "too expensive".
He feels it is better to have more, and cheaper guns, than
safer, more expensive guns. He then went on to say that
we don't need smarter guns or gun bans, but more gun
education and gun safety.
   This sounds great, but the NRA opposes mandatory gun
safety classes to obtain gun licenses and ownership. I say,
let the NRA put its money (and there is a lot of it) where its
mouth is, and lobby on behalf of mandatory gun safety classes.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »
These guns are nothing new, they were around when Clinton got the first gun ban passed. They are very expensive and unreliable. So you have to switch hands, the gun won't fire, make the distance it works greater and someone could use it against you. The NRA doesn't oppose gun education, they have been trying for years to get more schools to allow the Eddie Eagle Program which educates young children on the dangers of firearms, but the gun control people are dead set against it, they would rather continue making firearms a fantasy item among children, something to be explored if found, and.....played with to find out what all the mystery is about a gun. I educated my children from birth about firearms and had them shooting by the time they were four, this took all the mystery away and they knew that anytime they wanted to shoot one, all they had to do was ask. They never had to look for a hidden gun or pick a gun lock, because they were never hidden or locked up, to them a firearm was nothing mystical and they knew not to play with one. I worried much more about my children playing with my power tools and getting hurt or running in the road and getting hit by all the speeders on my road.

Offline randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
These guns are nothing new, they were around when Clinton got the first gun ban passed. They are very expensive and unreliable. So you have to switch hands, the gun won't fire, make the distance it works greater and someone could use it against you. The NRA doesn't oppose gun education, they have been trying for years to get more schools to allow the Eddie Eagle Program which educates young children on the dangers of firearms, but the gun control people are dead set against it, they would rather continue making firearms a fantasy item among children, something to be explored if found, and.....played with to find out what all the mystery is about a gun. I educated my children from birth about firearms and had them shooting by the time they were four, this took all the mystery away and they knew that anytime they wanted to shoot one, all they had to do was ask. They never had to look for a hidden gun or pick a gun lock, because they were never hidden or locked up, to them a firearm was nothing mystical and they knew not to play with one. I worried much more about my children playing with my power tools and getting hurt or running in the road and getting hit by all the speeders on my road.

"Eddie Eagle" from the NRA is a great program.  The Sheriff's department has taught that to elementary students for years.  Students are encouraged to use Eddie's simple safety message of "STOP!  DON'T TOUCH!  LEAVE THE AREA!  TELL A TRUSTED ADULT! in any situation involving ANYTHING potentially dangerous such as a gun, knife, broken glass, spilled liquid or other hazard.  The NRA funds the entire program including a life-size "Eddie" mascot costume, videos, coloring books, etc.   The local chapter of the NRA was responsible for bringing it to Monroe County.  Thank you.   

http://www.aaof.com/ed.htm
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:57:24 AM by randysehl »

Offline signal

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
   Warning kids about finding a stray gun is great.

I'm talking about making gun safety education
mandatory for any adult who wants to own a gun.
The NRA opposes this, even though there is no
evidence that it would reduce your ability to own a gun.

The new smart guns are very reliable, the ring or
wristband would be worn on the same hand/wrist as
your shooting hand. Not only would it prevent someone
from picking up your weapon and using it, but it also
means that if someone took your weapon away from you,
it would not fire - you could not be shot with your own gun.

Mr. Mossberg demonstrated this with a shotgun from his
company, and another demo was shown with a Beretta handgun.

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
I am NEVER going to take a class to exercise a right granted to me.  I understand your point but....once we put hoops and loops on one right, what stops that from spilling over to another right?  How about, you have to take a sensitivity class before you can exercise your right to speak freely, or even..minoritys and women must pass a test to be able to vote.  The new smart guns are very expensive crap.  They don't work well, misfire, and are just not great.  The military tried them for a bit and even they rejected them....and believe me, they'll fall for 20,000 toilets!  I have friends in my synagogue who have numbers on thier forearms that can tell you how things turn out when a government decides to control guns or put quantifiers on who can have one.....