Author Topic: Bedford  (Read 17400 times)

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bedford
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Ok let's continue with Mr Hoffa's (Jimmy's) thoughts.

Your list of roads, Sterns between StoneCo and the expressway, Schnipke Dr and Section. And Whiteford Center. Whiteford Center does not get a lot of truck traffic. My understanding regarding most of the businesses on Section Road is that they are on skeleton crews if they have not completely shut down. Even so we are still talking about what, 10 miles of roads? Sterns Road of course has a built up base for the very heavy weights of the stone trucks no different than the base for Lavoy Rd was for the steel trucks. Realistically I would bet that Schnipke Dr was as well since Whiteford hoped to have an industrial park there hence a lot of heavy truck traffic. Look how long Clark Road in Whiteford totally sucked but now that the Dana Test track has been purchased and Whiteford Township offices are being run out of it, all of a sudden Clark Road gets repaved and by the way Yankee Road (it sucked too) got work done on it as well. Must have been really good planning on Mr Schnipke's part that all of that happened simultaneously huh or just purely a coincidence?

How much is a modest levy? How long is it for? How detailed of a plan is required to be passable in your eyes or the voters of Bedford Township. So what happens when the plans for roadwork are not part of the portion of Bedford Township that everyone uses and is for let's say Erie Rd (less travelled). Or Crabb Rd or Minx Rd being another road that is half our responsibility and half Erie Township's. Look how long it has taken to get Rauch Rd taken care of (the road voted worst in Monroe County for how many years in a row). So those roads have a problem getting tax levies approved by popular vote, You want a war within the township? I would rather not see that happen. How far in advance does Monroe County Road Commission tell us that for sure work is going to be done. Most items such as the work on Sterns east of Adler were a maybe this year but then again maybe next year. Well that was done because of Bedford Township in the end.

Regarding my statement that you made an accusation regarding the engineer and the contractor. Yes I do indeed feel there is an accusation there.

Of course the community should be vigilant but spelling out every detail of every road job for an election ballot makes no sense either. Think about that rationally.
It is time to talk

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
And on a completely seperate note, though still about the roads, Chartres and J Hoffa, you requested a list of roads where work has been done. I am attaching here. Anyone that is interested in it, I hope you will take the time to really look at it. It does not include the work that was done within subdivisions such as Green Hills which as you all know had a major overhaul in the last few years. Due to the size of the mapping and the code, it is in 2 attachments. No, Mr Jimmy Hoffa, I have not provided you with the cost, nor who was responsible for it, etc. etc. etc. I think maybe I should have asked for the 8 year period before this as well so we could really make a comparison. It also does not show the work that is being done on Secor Rd right now. I, personally, was held up for close to 10 minutes the other day on Secor at Consear because of it. Till it is complete, I will take a different route. And remember that every one of these projects has been paid for in full. There are no bonds that we are having to pay off. Well since the ability to attach is not working here, I guess you have 3 options:
1. Email me direct. You can do that thru this site.
2. Get the administrator to fix the problem. (By the way I did make my attachments small enough to match their criteria).
3. Or do as I believe it was Hondo, who said, go do your own research.

Have a good evening.
It is time to talk

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2012, 06:38:22 AM »
And on a completely seperate note, though still about the roads, Chartres and J Hoffa, you requested a list of roads where work has been done. I am attaching here. Anyone that is interested in it, I hope you will take the time to really look at it. It does not include the work that was done within subdivisions such as Green Hills which as you all know had a major overhaul in the last few years. Due to the size of the mapping and the code, it is in 2 attachments. No, Mr Jimmy Hoffa, I have not provided you with the cost, nor who was responsible for it, etc. etc. etc. I think maybe I should have asked for the 8 year period before this as well so we could really make a comparison. It also does not show the work that is being done on Secor Rd right now. I, personally, was held up for close to 10 minutes the other day on Secor at Consear because of it. Till it is complete, I will take a different route. And remember that every one of these projects has been paid for in full. There are no bonds that we are having to pay off. Well since the ability to attach is not working here, I guess you have 3 options:
1. Email me direct. You can do that thru this site.
2. Get the administrator to fix the problem. (By the way I did make my attachments small enough to match their criteria).
3. Or do as I believe it was Hondo, who said, go do your own research.

Have a good evening.

The point of who is/was responsible for what road improvements goes directly to your previous post where you make reference to 150 miles of road improvements with the implication that Wilburn was responsible for those improvements.  That was simply a gross misrepresentation.  Although he may have played a small role, it is nothing more than that (a small role).

Bottom line out of all of the discussion (and the most critical element that all the residents of Bedford should seriously think about) is what Wilburn brought to solving the township's road problems; one of our most significant issues.   This was a "signature" effort by Mr. Wilburn and, in my opinion, clearly illustrates his lack of  experience in solving tough problems and why it is time to look for new leadership.

Township road improvements are going to cost millions and will be on-going long into the future;  well beyond the ten years that was proposed in the levy.  It is an enormous problem and a very technical one.  Problems like this are not best solved by an HVAC contractor, a retired school teacher, an accountant, a land use planner, and an administrator that carried the torch for the MCRC (not a popular unit of government around here)  In my opinion, the engineer and contractor appeared too late in the process to make a difference and were not even a part of the Wilburn road committee for nearly two years.

Just think about it.  A highly technical problem that is going to cost our township millions and millions long into the future and Wilbur assembles a group of non-technical volunteers. Sorry, but this is not how difficult, technical, costly problems are addressed and was not in the long term best interest of our township.  I understand that hiring technical engineering experts is not cheap, but I believe that this investment up front would be the best way to guide the long term expenditure of our road dollars.  In terms of securing grants, there is absolutely no question that agencies clearly lean towards awarding grant requests that fit into well thought out plans that illustrate that a community has done it's technical homework.  This is not effectively done by non-technical volunteers with little to no road experience.

In previous posts, you have made the case that $10,000,000.00 is really not all that much funding.  Well, I strongly disagree with you and have a significantly different perspective.  Whether it is one dollar or ten million, our attitude should be that every dollar is vitally important and treated as such.  We need to be getting the most for every dollar that goes towards roads and all our other expenditures.  Further, when residents  pay their taxes, they have every right to know where funding is going and how it is going to be spent.  What did Wilburn do?  He asked for $10,000,000.00 and did not even tell us what he was going to do (no accountability).  From my perspective, this is unacceptable.

Based on what Wilburn showed us in addressing our road problem, his lack of understanding of the technical nature of problem (as exhibited by his assembly of non-technical volunteers versus technical experts) and his ultimate request for $10,000,000.00 with no plan and no specific accountability, I believe we need new leadership.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:59:26 AM by J Hoffa »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
I wonder what the little town of Britton has that we don't have here in Bedford.  They surely don't have as large a tax base.  This year they have completely rebuilt the road that goes is their main street and put in all new curbs and sidewalks for about a mile.  I think they must have 2 storefronts that are occupied.  I know its route 50 but only with city limits of Britton did they rebuild anything. 

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
I wonder what the little town of Britton has that we don't have here in Bedford.  They surely don't have as large a tax base.  This year they have completely rebuilt the road that goes is their main street and put in all new curbs and sidewalks for about a mile.  I think they must have 2 storefronts that are occupied.  I know its route 50 but only with city limits of Britton did they rebuild anything.

STB, you must have been reading my unpublished "thread/Blog" I will soon publish. The Village of Britton is on my notes.
This tiny community just had what I would call, the largest infrastructure road renovation in Michigan per capita. They had the right management and I know for a fact, worked closely with the state of MI to have the work done. I know the city council worked tenaciously to get this done. I owned some rental property there for years.

REMEMBER, YOUR ROADS ARE AT 8100  JACKMAN. THAT IS WHAT THEY WANTED, TO WORK IN THE FINEST OF THE FINEST OFFICE BUILDINGS IN LOWER MICHIGAN. I THINK THEY ALL SUFFERED FROM "MARIE ANTOINETTE SYNDROME, YOU  KNOW, LET THEM EAT CAKE...BUT WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT ENDED.

Offline johnnydollar

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Anyone know how much it cost to do the Secor Road repair? It took less than a week to fix this half mile of road with a scrape of the top layer and new blacktop. This would seem to be pretty inexpensive and perhaps a simple solution to repair some of our roads.

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Anyone know how much it cost to do the Secor Road repair? It took less than a week to fix this half mile of road with a scrape of the top layer and new blacktop. This would seem to be pretty inexpensive and perhaps a simple solution to repair some of our roads.

The cheapest of the cheapest, it is call a skin. A full repair, which should have been done 5 years ago, would have had the road totally removed, funneled, and maybe updated service put in, like water, gas, etc. SHARED COST with Utils.
BUT THEY CHOSE TO DO A MAYBE 18 MONTH FIX AT MOST.

Offline Asphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »

$157,883.00

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the number Asphalt.

And guys remember what that cost took care of doing and lets take these numbers over onto some of the other road discussions that you have been having issues with.
It is time to talk

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

$157,883.00

Thank you. Cheap by all means.