Author Topic: SCHOOL BUSES  (Read 8295 times)

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
Re: SCHOOL BUSES
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
Buzz most of us hear you but there are some that think stopping will cause a bigger problem for people that don't expect you to stop.

Offline Bedford Homeowner

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
I'm curious now. I specifically asked this question about Lewis Ave. in drivers ed 20 some years ago, and was told we did not have to stop for opposite direction buses on Lewis Ave. From what I'm hearing now we have too? Personally, I think we shouldn't have to on Lewis since the kids only exit the bus to the right side and there is nobody crossing lanes of traffic. It's hard enough for some drivers to pay attention to the lanes in front of them on Lewis Ave. let alone the two lanes on the opposite side.

Offline smoke14

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
the law was changed recently now you must stop for school busses on all roads no matter how many lanes there is.

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 01:57:19 AM »
the law was changed recently now you must stop for school busses on all roads no matter how many lanes there is.

That's a nice thing to know. Better than finding out the hard way, wish the change would've been made more public. I watch the news pretty much daily and this was the first I heard of it being changed. Thanks for the info.

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
They also passed a law where banks are now giving away free money. All you have to do is go into your local branch wearing a Halloween mask and carrying a paper bag.  Very nicely, just tell the teller to put all of her money into the bag.  She'll gladly do it.  That's it.  Oh...don't forget to wish her a Merry Christmas!

P.S.  Be careful what you read on the Internet.  Some of it might be true!

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »

Smoke14

The following is a link to the legislation that address school bus stopping.  It was last updated on July 3, 2012.  Do you have a newer source of documentation?

Link To Michigan Legislaturehttp://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tlz14555soq0tr5524zwjc55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-257-682

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

Smoke14

The following is a link to the legislation that address school bus stopping.  It was last updated on July 3, 2012.  Do you have a newer source of documentation?

Link To Michigan Legislaturehttp://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tlz14555soq0tr5524zwjc55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-257-682

Right, because the way I'm reading that is no we wouldn't have to stop on Lewis Ave.
Also, it says highway, is Lewis ave considered a highway? I'd have to look into it further.

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »
Lewis Avenue, south of Sterns, has a dividing space...the center, left turn lane (you may not drive in that lane). You do not need to stop when meeting a school bus on the opposite side of the road.  Also, school bus drivers cannot allow passengers to cross a 4-lane highway.  They must unload to the right side of the road only. Danger to passengers crossing the roadway is thereby eliminated.

Lewis Avenue north of Sterns is a 2-lane highway.  Traffic must stop in both directions when meeting a school bus.

Drivers on Lewis Avenue in Ohio, where the roadway is 4 lane, need not stop when meeting a school bus. It makes no difference whether or not there is a dividing space in Ohio...as long as the roadway is 4 lanes or larger.

The dividing space in Michigan can be a physical barrier.  But it doesn't need to be.

The key element here is the 'dividing space'.  The center lane is a dividing space.  You may not drive on it.  It is meant to be an area that you pull into and wait for approaching traffic to clear when attempting to make a left turn.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:50 AM »
Dividing space is the key work.  Once when reading the law it seemed to imply that the dividing space was something that would prevent a vehicle from entering the lanes on the other side of the roadway.  A center turn lane in that respect is not a dividing space.   The center turn lane is not going to stop a veh from making a left turn and hit some kids getting off the bus.
I would guess enough of our township authorities have been made aware of this situation and I would hope they pass along some clarification.

Offline smoke14

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
I just called the michigan state police and asked if we had to stop on a 4 lane road with a turn lane and he said yes we must stop on any type of road. I hope this clears up this question.

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
I just called the Michigan state police and asked if we had to stop on a 4 lane road with a turn lane and he said yes we must stop on any type of road. I hope this clears up this question.

I'd still rather see it in official print.  Believe it or not sometimes not all police officers are current or correct on laws. I had a South Rockwood officer try telling me that I had to present my CPL (concealed pistol license) to an officer even if not carrying a firearm. Which is not correct, only while carrying a firearm you then must present your CPL license. I have him on video, I was not carrying a firearm and he threatened to take my permit and send it to the gun board to be revoked because I didn't tell him I had a CPL license. So, sometimes they're not always correct about the law.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:22:26 PM by Bedford Homeowner »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
He knew you had a permit because it's in the computer if he called your plate in.  I've been stopped and although not carrying at the time I told the officer I had a permit and there was no weapon in the vehicle.
He thanked me and told me to slow down the next time i went thru that area.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
Found this on Upnorth.com

Some drivers don't pass when they are able to during hazard light stops, and others are passing when they shouldn't when red lights are flashing.

“They don't know what do to around the school bus,” said Christine Thomas-Hill, TCAPS Director of Transportation.

This is the first year TCAPS has started using hazard light stops. Drivers are allowed to pass the school bus when the hazards are flashing.

“Studies have found that the more you try to control traffic the more accidents occur.”

The hazard light stops are used to keep traffic flowing on routes that have frequent stops.

“You'll never see a bus doing a hazard light stop and then having them cross a student in front of the bus.”

Hazard light stops are not being used in every school district. If you've driven throughout Cadillac and Petoskey chances are you haven't seen buses use this kind of stop.

Offline dhar3771

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
Yes, we must follow the laws!  And I do!   But I have been trying to get the school buses to slow down for years and haven't gotten any response.  I am not saying that we can go out and not follow the laws.  I'm just saying maybe the buses drivers need to start following them as well.