Author Topic: Fire Fighter fired  (Read 38246 times)

Bedfordrez

Fire Fighter fired
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
Anyone have an idea why this firefighter was let go last night.  Beings that people stuck up for him and the township didn't give a reason for him being gone.

Offline bigcity

• View Profile
Re: Fire Fighter fired
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
Maybe we need to start asking questions about what's going on with our Fire Department.

Offline BUZZARDCS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Horsenaround, .......... get back in your stall.  You have no idea what these guys and gals see and go through to help keep us safe. If they want to "hoist" a few, OFF DUTY OR NOT ON CALL, so what. I did that job for many years and wanted to help other people who needed us in an emergency.  If you think that's all we did, join a department, jump in your turn-out gear and boots, and strap a SCBA on your back  In the meantime, don't  naaaaaag  our providers with negative comments like that.  OOPS,  I think your standing in something.    HAGD!!   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:58:44 AM by BUZZARDCS »

Offline Bedford News

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
If anyone would like to watch the video of the meeting to hear the discussion concerning this decision, I have posted it to the www.bedfordyes.com web site.  Click on the link below for the page where the video is located:

http://www.bedfordyes.com/BedfordTownshipAgendaMinutesVideo.htm#agendaminutesvideo

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
I am concerned.  This township fired a firefighter who in the past has spoken out for what he believes is right.  There is no "cause" given as he is an "at will" employee.  I could have sworn that in that last blue thing that comes from the township there was a call for firefighters........is the reason because if they listed a cause it would be something our that could make our township liable in a lawsuit? 

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
Firefights say they don't know why or if they do they aren't talking.
a couple have indicated there is no longer a "good ole boy network" then laughed pretty hard.
So maybe the new chief thinks people will believe him when he says that is no longer.
Kind of strange though that a retired long time firefighter takes over as interim chief and proceeds to fire someone right away.
doesn't smell good.

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »
What???  >:(

How do you fire a volunteer firefighter unless that person is a danger to himself or other firefighters, or otherwise can not do the job? This smells like politics. And that is the last thing our firefighters should have to deal with.

The sanctimony sure is thick with some of the board members. Like Paul Francis's, "we owe [firefighters] a great debt of gratitude". Gee Paul, then don't you think you owe an explanation when you remove one of them from the department? I mean, that would at least be a start to repaying your "debt of gratitude". Instead you hide behind the township's attorney and your "heavy heart". What a coward.

I have never been so disgusted with a group of cowards as I am with our Board. At least two of them seem to have more than an ounce of integrity. We seriously need to remove the rest from office.

Offline bigcity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »
Now I'm hearing this is a good way to shut someone up and YES there is a cover up !!!!

Offline tcbruning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
I am Todd Bruning and I was terminated because I found out how bad the Bedford Fire Department is screwing the taxpayers and called them on it. I have a scanned copy of my termination letter but it is more than 500KB so it won't post. I will see if I can get it under the 5ooKB so I can post it. Anyone is welcome to stop in my shop and I'll give you a copy.  The Good ol Boy club is alive and kicking in the Fire Department and most of the Town Board members. I joined the Fire Department to give back to the community and was on for over two years. During this time it became obvious that a lot of the older firefighters particularly the officers were just using this as a paycheck not to give back to the community. In Bedford the "Black Hats" are paid on call. Pretty simple, if there is a call and you show up you get paid 16.50 per call and if you don't show up you don't get paid. The OFFICERS however are salary and get paid no matter what, so because of this, a lot of them do not make the calls and they still get their full pay. Additionally, besides are normal pay for calls the Bedford Fire Department is given roughly 120,000.00 a year to use between the three stations. This is where the majority of the corruption is because there are no checks and balances. The treasurers spend this TAXPAYER money like crazy. The Fire Department has more parties than fires. They have used your money to pay for a firefighters mortgage that he was behind on, put a new roof on his house and the bank still foreclosed on it. At district 1 and 3's Christmas party (that the taxpayers paid for) each firefighter was given 600.00 cash his wife 200.00 cash, a 500.00 visa gift card and than a variety of gift cards to various stores. They do this so they don't have to declare it on a 1099. District 2 doesn't do gift cards but splits the cash up into summer pay and Christmas pay but half of it will be cash and the other a check and we do get 1099'd. At these parties everything is paid for (including the alcohol which of course has to be top shelf since the TAXPAYER is footing the bill) AND the members of the Town board are invited. I could go on and on about this but if you want to know more just stop in my shop and I'll give you all of the details. Additionally, there is a bunch of equipment missing that the TAXPAYER bought for the department that nobody can find. Before I got on the department there was a water rescue team and they had all of the equipment for this. It is all gone and nobody has any idea what happen to it. The same goes for a bunch of generators that were bought for the disaster relief trailer that are also gone. How I initially got on everyone's bad side was calling the Fire Department and Town board out on the Pierce Fire Truck. This was 100% Good ol Boy and greased palms. This truck is totally unnecessary for Bedford and it is also built in WI. They justified this by saying nobody else bid. Well Paul Francis is on the Fire Commission that helped push this truck through and I made him look like an ass on tv when I told him how I was able to get a bid from a local company in Michigan with just one phone call. Paul Pirrone made him look even worse when he pointed out how they went with the loan from MBT instead of 5/3rd which is 9000.00 more. After this I started requesting payroll, equipment lists etc... with the Freedom of Information Act at the Bedford Town Hall. This REALLY chapped their ass. Myself and another firefighter were able to locate some of the "missing equipment" that disappeared while one of the original "Good ol Boys" was still on the department (Anthony Keane) which just happened to end up in this person's garage. We brought a few pieces into Town Hall and gave it to Greg Stewart, Rick Steiner, and Paul Francis to prove our case to him about the "Good ol Boys" and free for all spending with no accountability. Nothing was done nor has it been done. There is no accountability with the money that is given to the Department and they use the TAXPAYERS money to line their own pockets. I think the icing on the cake for me was when my own firefighters voted me in as treasurer for the association. This would give me full access to the books and bank account. Phil Dale (old treasurer) was not happy and would not even discuss with me when we could set up a time to go over everything and what had to be done. It was shortly after this election that I was sent this termination letter and I have not even met with or talked to Joe Keane. Anyone can request any of the same stuff I did through the Freedom of Information Act. Just put in a request for what you want to see at the town clerk's desk. Now we get to some of the officers.  One of the Lt's at district 2 and also a chaplain was paid  approximately an additional 10,000 on top of his officer salary for "fire clerk duties". What is that you say? It is for doing his job. more corruption. The house Capt. at District 3 was another officer that was awarded this additional 10,000 on top of his officers salary for the "fire clerk duties". Bedford officers and firefighters have a collection of charges amongst them including domestic violence a couple of the guys have these (wife/girlfriend beaters) the earliest of which was on Saturday December 7th in the Quimby's parking lot. This firefighter was given a 29 day suspension. Felony charge for making a false report he is a LT, solicitation of a prostitute he is a LT and we even have a Capt with a DUI charge. All of these guys are still employed by the Bedford Fire Department. I could go on and on but I think you guys can see what is going on here. I joined the department to help Bedford and started making waves when I saw how corrupt the department and Town Board are so they got rid of me. They could not do it with performance or run volume because I am stellar in both. They tried writting me up numerous times to which I was always able to defend because it they were all lies or half truths. I accept 100% responsibility for my actions and will sign any punishment given to me if it is true. This is the only way they could get rid of me by this"at-will" employee excuse. I have tons more stories about money wasted, corruption, back door deals so just stop in my shop and I will tell you whatever you want. Anyone can watch the town meeting and see the 5 Board members that need to be replaced. I didn't want any of the firefighters to get up and speak for me at the meeting because I knew that it was useless and it would put a target on their back but I could not talk Aaron or Matt out of it. The Bedford Fire Department is corrupt. The Town Board is corrupt and I was fired for calling them on it. If anyone has any other questions just ask and I will reply when I can.

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
Boy, this is an amazing account.

Sounds to me like we should be asking the County Prosecutor to get involved and that an independent audit should be conducted?

Offline tcbruning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
I agree with you 100% Hoffa. The IRS should get involved also so they can crunch the numbers. The associations pay out cash so taxes don't have to be paid on it.

Offline Gregrnemtp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:36 AM »
I am Greg Grant,  President of the Lambertville  Firefighters Association.   While Todd has some valid points, his references to the Association's is moot, without merit,  and factually WRONG.  The Association's have valid contracts with Bedford Township,  with yearly renewal.  They spend their money like any other employee who gets paid.   I don't get to decide what a vendor does with with the money when I purchase something. Neither does anyone else.   It was the Townships money being paid to a vendor as simple as that.   Just as if they purchased paper from Office Max or chairs from MTS.  Todd needs to concentrate on the fact that he was fired from the Department,  not the Association,  he willfully accepted any and all renumerations afforded him.  As his 1099 will show when provided by our CPA each year.

Offline tcbruning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
Just so I am clear on what you are saying Greg. The taxpayers pay Bedford Township and Bedford Township pays the Lambertville Firefighters Association which makes the money no longer taxpayer money but money to be spent as the association pleases? I still believe that it is taxpayer money since that is who the Fire Department works for. Just so everyone knows, Greg is a Lt on district 2 and one of the few officers that makes his call volume and earns his salary. He is a flight RN with Promedica and good leader. I respect him as do a majority of the firefighters.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
This is one of the few times I agree with J Hoffa, we need to get the County Prosecutor involved along with the State Police. Let find out what's really going on with our tax dollars.