Author Topic: Driving on slick roads  (Read 1522 times)

Offline beessmees

• View Profile
Driving on slick roads
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
I feel that part of the education of student drivers should include some snow and ice instruction.  I know that I am as guilty as anyone in this matter and I didn't want my kids to be learning to drive in bad weather.  I'm not saying that they should be learning to drive but maybe that could be part of the instruction is a winter weather driving period.  I realize this is probably not very feasible to a large degree and I'm not sure how they would even mandate that but I feel it is worth saying.  Mornings like this morning that were so icy and slick and I don't see a lot of these teenagers or adults for that matter slowing down.  Just because their vehicles have 4 wheel drive does not mean they have 4 wheel stop.  Parents, it may be a good time to take your teenagers out and see how they do in this kind of weather.  Help them be prepared.  We can all have an accident but a little preparation may help.

Offline Blue eyes

• View Profile
Re: Driving on slick roads
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
Wow! I agree... I think responsibility, for our teenage children, learning to drive on, the ice covered subdivisions, in Monroe County, should fall directly on the parents, of the teenagers...
Now, as far as the adults, in Monroe County slowing down, on our ice covered streets... I think the tire tracks, from the vehicle, that slid into my front yard, the other day, are evidence that, someone was in too big of a hurry to slow down, for a little ice... Well... Maybe they did slow down after, spinning their wheels across my yard, to get back on the street...  : (   

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »
Don't many people think it is irresponsible of our township and county to allow our roads to go days without snowplowing?
The county/township has millions of dollars worth of equipment that they bought and maintain with a million dollar budget but they don't plow our roads.
They concentrate all their time and equipment on state highways US23 I475 and I75 because someone though they could make some money contracting with the state.
I for one would rather have my county and local roads plowed with our equip and our workers. 

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »
I agree about educating new drivers in handling a vehicle in the snow.  I am looking out of my window at the slick roads this morning.  Bedford doesn't really call off school.  I know many who agree but I do think our schools don't think about those new drivers when they make the calls.  It is much more important for BPS not to let parents down who'd need to make child care arrangements rather than to think about safety.  It would be different if we effectively treated our roads, but we don't.

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:19:54 AM »
I think our main roads in Bedford Twp. look pretty good.  They never used to get plowed at all.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
apparently some were plowed yesterday.  More last night I guess.  That is an improvement over past years.

Offline Blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »
Wow!! Only 3 days after the snow fell, our subdivision had a Monroe County snow plow, do a drive through... The truck even pushed a little of the snow, out of the middle of the street...
In the last few years, it usually has taken, around 10 days, after the snow falls, before we saw a snow plow... 

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Tv commercials are partly to blame, people watch the 4 wheel or all wheel drive cars zip along through ice and snow, but that 4 wheel advantage goes completely away once you take your foot off the gas and touch the brakes, then they are no different than any other vehicle on the road.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
Monroe County Sheriff dept telling us to stay off the roads in Bedford township so they can clean them.
Is that meant to be a joke or what?
We know all the snowplows are on the interstates and will never plow out the residential areas in Bedford.  The main roads might see some action next week,

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
I don't think you can plow ice!  Do they use that salt slurry in MI that they use in OH?  I haven't been out but have been told a lot of the roads are a solid sheet of ice.  I would like to put out there that putting two cinderblocks in the back of your pickup truck doesn't constitute "weight" and might just be the reason you are sliding:)  I hope it's better tomorrow but I am not holding my breath.