Author Topic: Emergency Vehicles  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
Re: Emergency Vehicles
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
While I love the idea of becoming a city and having our own police force, I'm not certain that it's in the current budget.  Let's think about the costs involved.  Officers, how many?  Rookies are less expensive than those with years of experience, but that should be out of the question.  They shouldn't be part time, they only look for jobs elsewhere because they can't support themselves on a PT job and usually can't work at a second to supplement their income.  What about the vehicles?  The cost of insurance for them, gas and repairs. Benefits to the officers, it isn't cheap.  Let's not forget those uniforms, whatever they wear.  They'll need guns (@$250), bulletproof vest (@$4,000), radios (@$3,500) handcuffs, tasers, bullets and whatever else is required that I can't think of.  I also believe that they all have to qualify on their weapons each year, which adds a cost.  Don't forget that we'll have to build an area with a holding cell, unless we have that now. 

Somehow I'm betting that the township isn't paying for all of that.  You can certainly have all of this, but when you add services taxes will go up to cover this.     

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
While I love the idea of becoming a city and having our own police force, I'm not certain that it's in the current budget.  Let's think about the costs involved.  Officers, how many?  Rookies are less expensive than those with years of experience, but that should be out of the question.  They shouldn't be part time, they only look for jobs elsewhere because they can't support themselves on a PT job and usually can't work at a second to supplement their income.  What about the vehicles?  The cost of insurance for them, gas and repairs. Benefits to the officers, it isn't cheap.  Let's not forget those uniforms, whatever they wear.  They'll need guns (@$250), bulletproof vest (@$4,000), radios (@$3,500) handcuffs, tasers, bullets and whatever else is required that I can't think of.  I also believe that they all have to qualify on their weapons each year, which adds a cost.  Don't forget that we'll have to build an area with a holding cell, unless we have that now. 

Somehow I'm betting that the township isn't paying for all of that.  You can certainly have all of this, but when you add services taxes will go up to cover this.     

Bedford Township does pay and own much of the police equipment being used by the county sheriff.  The patrol cars, radios, computers, radars, lights, sirens, etc. are all owned by the township.  Besides paying for 80% of the salary of all the township assigned deputies, the township is also responsible for 80% of the total cost of all benefits (health, dental, vision insurances, vacation days, sick days, personal days, overtime, clothing allowances, equipment, retirement, etc.)  So in actuality, these costs (or at least 80% of them) are already being paid by the township.  Utilizing SOME part time officers oftens helps municipalities offset or reduce some of that cost.   

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
If some people in Bedford want Bedford Township to be a city encompassing Lambertville and Temperance there needs to be some extensive studies done.  And probably at a cost of a few hundred thousand.
I doubt that it would be cheaper to become a city but what are the advantages to us and how much more would it cost.
Would our roads be better?
Would we have more and better police protection?
Would our schools be better?
Would our shopping be better?
I haven't heard a lot of noise lately about becoming a city and getting rid of the rule from Monroe.

Offline Fogofwar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
BCW,

yes, I have many friends who are deputies and I have many friends who are in law enforcement with other agencies.  I have the great advantage of working in an industry that works closely with law enforcement.  What you propose would cause contracts to be broken and massive expense added to the Township.  The equipment used by the Bedford Deputies is not wholly owned by the Township.  It is included in the price of a deputy.  This can be verified by going to the Township and checking it out yourself.  The Township receives the benefit of police protection without all of the liabilities, up keep, and expense their own department would have to deal with.

It truly is one of the best options.  Can budgets be scrutinized and tightened?  Yes.  The last time the Sheriff was at the Bedford sub I had a chance to speak with him.  He and his staff have saved the county and township a lot of money already.  He has officers who work for free, i.e. the Aviation Unit, which by the way has officers from Dundee working/volunteering on it.  That's just one example of the sacrifice and professionalism demonstrated by the Sheriff and the deputies.

On a whole there are many men and women in this county who are the epitome of law enforcement professionals and we are lucky to have them.

Again, perhaps citizens should meet with the Sheriff when he is down in Bedford, (every Monday or Friday I believe), and voice your ideas and listen to his.  I have.

Debate is always good when it remains civil.  It's a founding principle of our society. 

Regards,
Fogofwar

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Do we really want a police force like Washington Twp.?

I'm pretty much pleased with the service we get in Bedford.  I think that
sometimes the measure of that quality is how often we have direct
contact with members of the force.  I've never had to call for police
services in Bedford...which I think is a good thing.

Bottom line (as with most things in life)...If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline BedfordCrimeWatch

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Do we really want a police force like Washington Twp.?

If you are referring to the recent youtube "Toledo Cop goes crazy," the answer would I would not want to employ a police officer that acted in that manner.  He was unprofessional.  Every police agency is going to have a bad apple or two that should be either retrained or released..  But if your question is do we want a TOWNSHIP police force?  I think the idea at least deserves some study.  Several townships I have visited have outstanding police departments.  Sylvania Township, OH, Pittsfield Township, MI, Perkins Township, OH, Canton Township, Huron Township, Sumpter Township, etc.

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »
That officer in Washington Twp was off 30 days with pay.  The only trouble he was in had to do with throwing the cell phone. 

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »
You really think that cell phone is the only problem he has in life?

With his demeanor, those people are lucky to be alive.

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »
You really think that cell phone is the only problem he has in life?

With his demeanor, those people are lucky to be alive.

I think you are exaggerating the situation a bit Packer.  First off, we didn't get to see all the events that lead up to the clip that you saw.  The Lucas County Prosecutor's Office and Lucas Sheriff Department investigated the matter and found no criminal wrong-doing.  Yes some of his actions were unprofessional and unacceptable, and he was given a consequence for that.  But to say "they are lucky to be alive" is absolutely ludicrous. 

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
It was pretty obvious to me these weren't normal respectful people the cop was dealing with.  The second guy that wasn't involved getting out of his car ranting and raving at the cop about how they harass people.  Normal respectful drug free people don't do that.

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
Packers Fan,

No one is speaking about his life in general, just his actions that day.  When it was recorded, you never see the very beginning because whoever shot it had to get the phone from a pocket, or wherever and open the camera.  You only see what they wanted you to see.  After all you can edit those things.  After the fact, we can all think of things we may have done.  Be the only cop on the scene, dealing with known criminals and have that many people yelling and screaming at you.  Bet you wouldn't have handled it much differently.  That officer is lucky he wasn't hurt.

Offline signal

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
     The real issue of City vs. County is control. Control of money
and people. If one of the deputies we pay for was rude or over-
reacted during an arrest and roughed someone up, what could
our trustees do? He's not our employee, he works for the Sheriff.
      I object to the idea that people in Monroe have more control
over our public services (roads & law enforcement) than we do.
      The reason communities become cities is to control the
cash and the employees. You wouldn't suggest dissolving our
board of education and letting someone in Monroe make all
the decision about our schools, nor would you be in favor of
letting the county government select our next Fire Chief. So
why is is good to let the county make all the decisions about
our police, or our street repair and maintenance?
      Everyone knows the old expression "you get what you pay
for", but here it seems to me that we pay, and we get what the
powers that be in Monroe decide to give us.

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
Two minutes and twenty two seconds doesn't show an entire incident.  You obviously have your view and I have mine.   

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 10:30:56 PM »
The cars are provided by the Township and are the color they are because the Township wants them that color.

Then it seems the township is after fine income, not increased police visibility. I think we should keep this in mind when the police millage comes up for renewal.

After the deputies are done with the cars they go to the township for their use, i.e. ordinance officers.  The dark cars are preferred by the township government.

I liked it better when the ordinance officers had visible vehicles with big yellow lightbars. Now they run around with "stealth cars" pretending to be deputies. It's pretty silly, seeing their tires spin as they pull out of Tim Hortons. Ordinance violation... Code 3!  ::)

Sheriff Malone has brought the newly painted district cars to the Bedford sub-station, so why don't you trot on down and take a look.  The deputies will be happy to show them off.  They work for you.

Is one of them the the black and white Sheriff pickup truck I see parked at the Lewis Ave BP station almost every weekday morning between 7:30am and 8:15am? Not getting gas, just parked in a spot, unoccupied.

As for the uniforms, I for one really don't care. Tactical clothing is fine, as long as there are patches and and a badge (even a sewed on one). I do think they should get rid of the polo shirts as those are a bit too casual. But again, I don't really care that much.

By the way, someone who knows "nothing about nothing", knows something about everything. Take care with the double negatives, chief. :)

Again it's obvious you have very little insight into modern law enforcement.

I think we have a little bit better knowledge of modern law enforcement than you think. I for one know that modern law enforcement is seen as a revenue generating operation rather than a public safety one. While that doesn't reflect the purpose and motivations of the individual officers, that is how they are seen by the people in charge of local government.

And the proof is in the decisions they make. Defund school resource officers, while turning our police cruisers into traffic ticket generators. Just because we reject what modern law enforcement has become, does not mean we do not understand it.

Heck I hear rumor there is a movement out there to have Bedford make it's own police department.  Modeled after Dundee PD.  Oh boy there would be a colossal mistake.

Agreed 100%. But realize the primary reason for podunk police departments (especially those in Monroe County) is to generate revenue for local coffers.

If one of the deputies we pay for was rude or over-reacted during an arrest and roughed someone up, what could our trustees do?

Tell the Sheriff we want a different deputy assigned. If that option is not in our contract, then it should be. We're footing the bill so if we had a problem with a deputy then we should be able to ask he be replaced with another.