Author Topic: Road repaving  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
Re: Road repaving
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »
You should select an new name, something like Clueless in Bedford.

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
I don't think anyone could argue that the roads here are a hot mess.  The road I live on was paved, then it was potholes filled with tar, then they laid down stone over half the length of it (lemme tell you, stones on the remainder of pavement just become missiles).  I am happy to see at least something being done somedamnwhere even if it isn't my particular road.  I figure if my road needs it enough the people who live on it will pay, our road doesn't "go" anywhere, it dead ends and no one of any particular importance lives on it.

Offline steelerfan73

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
NTB...if u are new in Bedford u know absolutely nothing about the history of our roads. I would suggest posting with a more adult attitude or just read the posts and learn something.

Offline johnnydollar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
If you live west of Secor in Bedford Township on any of the main roads, as you know, they suck. Why is that so? Clegg, Section, Smith, Clover, Dean, Erie and now even Adler is getting bad. Sterns was on this list until just last year as was Summerfield. BTW, when is Sterns west of Adler getting redone? Was supposed to be this year.

To those in the know, is there a rift between Whiteford township and Bedford or the MCRC that affects the importance of the above roads getting fixed?

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
All of you whiners who complained about Douglas Road had no idea that they were going to lay blacktop over the tar & chip, did you? As for a rift between Whiteford and anyone else, there is none. Whiteford is flush with road money due to the fact that they get a tipping fee from every ton of stone that comes out of the quarry. Of course if Bedford had such an opportunity, they would vote it down and want more homes built instead of a source of income. From the stakes driven next to Sterns it looks like that Whiteford section of Sterns will commence soon. People who are newer to the township don't know that at one time Secor, Erie Rd., Temperance from Lewis to Telegraph, and Smith from Jackman to Lewis were so crowned that you needed to wear your seat belt to keep from sliding over to the passenger seat, and in the winter, on ice, forget it you were headed to the ditch. Back then Adler, Clegg, and many others were dirt in the summer and mud roads in the spring. We have come a long way, but still need more work done. One of the reasons pot hole have become such an issue is that in the sixties you had belted tires that had a cushion of five or six inches between the tread and rim, now with radials that only have two inches between tread and rim, the potholes are felt more, and do more damage to the suspension and rims. Also belted tires could take a lot more punishment than the radials do.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:35:44 PM by chartres »

Offline BUZZARDCS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:15 AM »
Thanks Chartres. I had to eat a little crow 'cause I was one of the whiners about Douglas Rd. and didn't realize they weren't done yet.  It's now in great shape and thanks go out to whomever did it. Looks like Smith Rd. will be done the same way. The equipment is now parked by the Michigan Tavern.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 09:02:34 AM »
I heard from a contractor guy but not necessarily a road expert that the chip and seal, with top treatment like they did to Douglas lasts about half as long as repaving but costs about a fifth as much.
Don't know if that's true but I guess we'll find out.

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »
All of you whiners who complained about Douglas Road had no idea that they were going to lay blacktop over the tar & chip, did you?

How would we know this, Chartres?

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 10:01:37 AM »
I guess I don't understand, Buzz.  I thought chip and seal was a road
construction/repair in itself.

Is this the way to repair the roads?...chip and seal and then asphalt?
Or is it being done this way because of all the complaints
over the chip and seal?

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 08:20:11 PM »
I don't know that they put asphalt over the chip and seal.  It looked like they were spraying something much like they put down before the stones.  It certainly wasn't the typical trucks of asphalt being spread with the spreader

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
By the way, LOVE the gravel pour on Lewis Ave. What the hell does that accomplish other than forcing motorcyclists to find an alternate route?

Offline wooden nikel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »
For all you surface treatment geniuses, the top coat on the chip seal is called micro surfacing. Actually, the chip seal binder has latex mixed with the asphalt. it actually improves the seal while the micro slurry minimizes road roughness so you all won't ***** about the loose aggregates. It will last 5-7 years if it's applied right and if your freeze-thaws aren't severe. It's pavement preservation it doesn't add structure. Until the State of Michigan can fix it's transportation funding scheme you are stuck with the MCRC and the crumbs the state gives them and then cuts sthe pie slices thinner throughout the county. If the state had a matching grant system for local governments rather than giving it to the schmucks at MCRC township citizens could decide how much they should pay for better roads. A local option sales tax is an even better option.

Wake up Bedford!

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 06:07:50 AM »
I have no complaint about the sealing mixture or the chip seal coating or surfacing.  My issue is with all the extra stone that MCRC wastes that never sees a drop of asphalt or sealer. 

Erie Road, in many locations has mounds up to six inches deep along either side of the road, all from excessive stone that has now found its way to the edge of the road.   I have never seen a road design cross section that included six inch high rows of stone bordering the edges.  As dirt and grime starts to accumulate in these ridges, I can see where they could start to interfer with the drainage of the roadway, not a good thing.   

Offline devilslakejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:12 AM »
No worries,  the snow plows will throw it up into your yard this winter.

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 07:23:08 AM »
Not my yard as I just use Erie Road to get to I-75. 

Interesting as your concept is,  it assumes that the road will actually get plowed when it snows.  Many times, without the old four wheel drive, I would not be able to go that way.