Author Topic: Michigan Charter Schools Get Good Marks  (Read 851 times)

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
Michigan Charter Schools Get Good Marks
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:33 AM »
Over the years, it seems like I have heard an awful lot of charter school bashing;  some from parents, some from public school teachers.  If, for example, you go to the BEA site, you will see that they do not want  unused public school buildings to become available to charter schools. 

Although my kids went to Bedford and I have no first hand experience with charter schools, I have every reason to think that competition tends to bring out the best in most endeavors.  Why not with schools?  In light of this, I found the results of the Stanford study that included charter schools in Michigan, presented in the Monroe News, very interesting.

As Taken From The Monroe News
http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/jun/26/study-gives-michigan-charter-schools-good-marks/

"Thirty-five percent of Michigan charter schools have significantly more positive learning gains in reading than their traditional public school counterparts, while 2 percent have significantly lower gains. Forty-two percent outperform their traditional public school peers in math while 6 percent perform worse"

At least across the state of Michigan, according to this study, it appears that charter schools have performed pretty well.

It is clear that from a global perspective, although we spend more than other countries in education, our students lag behind.

As Taken From The Blaze
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/25/the-next-time-someone-bemoans-the-education-budget-consider-showing-them-this/

"But an international survey released Tuesday revealed that the United States already spends far more than any other developed nation on its students’ education each year, though U.S. students trail far behind their international rivals on standardized tests."

Just something to think about the next time you hear someone asking for more funding for schools or someone putting down charter schools.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:57:58 AM by J Hoffa »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
Re: Michigan Charter Schools Get Good Marks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
Public schools like Bedford have to enroll and keep enrolled everyone that wants to attend..

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:04:39 AM »
Public schools like Bedford have to enroll and keep enrolled everyone that wants to attend..

I understand and recognize that public schools have to take whoever enrolls. 

Beyond that, however, at least from my perspective, there has been an on-going retoric from the public school sector against charter schools.  Here is a typical MEA example.

As Taken From Michigan Education Association, June 4, 2013
http://www.mea.org/failing-charter-schools-still-allowed-expand

"Thirty-two new charter schools are set to open in Michigan this fall, and a new study shows that chronically low-performing charter operators are being allowed to expand their operations.

And while test scores don’t tell the whole story, the study, released by the non-partisan Education Trust-Midwest, reinforces the need for charter schools authorizers to be held to the same standards as traditional public schools."

Don't get me wrong, if a charter school is not doing a job, I have no problem with addressing that issue.  But in that regard, I would say the same thing about public school teachers that are not doing a job and are protected by tenure.

Here is the other side of the same story referenced above.  This version of the story is very different than the  one presented by MEA.

As Taken From CAPCON, June 14, 2013
http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/18745

"Cesar Chavez Academy in southwest Detroit received an "A" on the Mackinac Center for Public Policy’s high school report card and was the second-highest rated high school in the state.

The Center For Michigan rated the charter school as the 65th best in the state out of 560 traditional public school districts and charter public schools. It had Detroit Public Schools ranked 493rd overall.

Yet this month, the Michigan Education Association used a study to claim Cesar Chavez Academy is failing and should not be allowed to expand."

To your point that public schools have to take everyone, as you read the artical further, refering to MEA's assessment,

"The study didn't take into consideration that charter campuses like Cesar Chavez take on students who are "disproportionally from circumstances of poverty, abuse and neglect and serve high percentages of children from low-income families," a Leona Group press release said."

At least in this particular situation, the charter school appeared to be taking what might be anticipated to represent the more difficult cases.

As you can see, there is huge difference between how MEA views or presents the work of certain charter schools versus how other less directly vested groups evaluate charter schools.  One group rates the Chavez school the second highest in the state while MEA does not think they should be allowed to expand.

For me, this example just makes me more skeptical than ever of the retoric of self serving groups like the MEA. 

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »
There is no fair way to compare charter schools to public schools.  Public schools are full of kids that don't want to be there, don't go to school half the time, don't do their homework and continually flunk tests.  If you act up at a charter school they send you to the public school.
There is a big difference between neglected kids and punks.
I don't have a stake in either of these schools.  I just think public schools get a bad rap over some charter schools because charter schools can select the students they want.   Just like parochial schools.  If you act  up there it's back to public school.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:44:52 AM by StopTheBurning »

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
Charter schools are public schools.  In Michigan, the administrator of a charter school is considered a "superintendent".  They also do not answer to the state as much as a school in a traditional district would.  My kids have attended charter schools in different states.  I did not have a good experience at the charter school here in Bedford.  The oversight was lax, the technology was very far behind.  The teachers were VERY underpaid....30,000 give or take a few thousand.  It was, to me, quite obvious that it was run for profit.  The charter school we attended in another state was amazing.  The math and science were top notch.  I really think much of it depends on the management company, the board, and transparency in how the money is spent. I do think that charter schools have the potential to serve certain children much more effectively than a traditional district would.  If you are considering a charter school I would highly advise in depth investigation before you enroll. I would also encourage anyone to research any relationship between the management company and the board members (it should be a professional relationship only)....I check on any profit made by board members (or their family/friend) regarding the sale of the land, any contracts etc. 

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
I don't think there is any question that a child can get a good or better education at a charter school if the student wants to work at it.  The comparison has been charters are better than public schools.  That is a false comparison because charter schools can get rid of kids that don't want to be there.

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »
I don't think there is any question that a child can get a good or better education at a charter school if the student wants to work at it.  The comparison has been charters are better than public schools.  That is a false comparison because charter schools can get rid of kids that don't want to be there.

You note that "the comparison has been charters are better than public schools".  Who's comparison you are referring to?  The studies referenced simply illustrate that charter schools are not as bad as has been suggested by their competition in the public sector.

The premise of the subject line was that "Michigan Charter Schools Get Good Marks".   That is much different than the rhetoric I have heard from the public school sector about Charter schools and the recent example from the MEA site.   

Having a good alternative to public schools (like a charter school) I think should create some competition that will hopefully improve the quality for everyone.  Beyond that, BW's points regarding doing your homework to determine the specifics about a particular school are valid whether you are considering a public, charter, or other private school.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:35:19 AM by J Hoffa »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
Everyone is free to send their kids to whatever school accepts them.  In the end that's all that matters and if the kids and parents are satisfied, that's good.