Author Topic: All day young 5's??  (Read 1179 times)

Offline steelerfan73

• View Profile
All day young 5's??
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
 Is this all day young 5's an effort to draw kids to the Bedford schools? These kids are four and then obviously a very young 5 for the year. I find this program wonderful but a half day is justified for this age group. It is a very long day even for kindergarteners so think of the youngsters entering this program . This program gives this age group a gift ...a year before kindergarten while working on skills for the following year and allowing time for small children to develop emotionally, socially and academically. An entire day of school even with a nap is not appropriate for 4 year olds and younger 5's. Why not do a half day and then have daycare at the school? This would be more appropriate I feel. Our kids have enough pressure to learn and succeed and every year it gets younger and younger with no visible signs of overall academic improvement. Let kids be kids alittle longer.

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
Re: All day young 5's??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:45:43 PM »
Bedford Schools is only reimbursed educationo funds from the State based on their FULL TIME students.  They would only get paid half for students who attend half a day, and hence that is why they offer only full time Young 5's. 

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:15:52 AM »
It's about time!  All of the other countries that are currently kicking our butt educationally start kids in school much earlier than we do.  Of course the program will be developmentally appropriate!  No one is going to expect them to attend to the same activity for long periods of time.  This needs to happen all over the country.  In Asia, kids start school part time at three....they have a blast and are celebrated for doing so.....even in the UK they have state funded nursery schools.  These children will adapt to the schedule. 

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Something needs to change, so why not start there.  Take a look at how younger people speak and write.  It;s horrible.  Can't imagine how they are doing in math and science classes.  Probably just as bad.

Offline steelerfan73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
 Offering full days to 4's and young 5's is not going to significantly change how we compete with the rest of the world..please be serious. The foundation for learning is laid at home with reading, conversing at meals and opportunities to learn e.g. vacations, family time. Our speech therapist said that the reason so many kids need speech is because they learn how to speak by watching tv instead of watching their parents lips. I have seen parents in stores taking time to explain things to their kids while shopping and others hurrying through fighting with their kids...this time is huge for young kids.
There was a time when I felt that all day kindergarten was too much for the average child ...when I started teaching it I realized that even though there is really no change in what the child learns during the year only more time to teach it. You can only cram so much into a small child during a day...we likened the day to coming down a hill by 3. You do the big stuff in the am and scale down as the day goes on....
That is why I have a problem with all day Young 5's. I find it more of a daycare accomodation for parents.
These kids are not in kindergarten which now is all day for a reason...usually immaturity comes into play as one of the reasons bc they are young. I still believe that these kids will not speak or learn any better bc of all day school . The whole key to better students is a supportive and nurturing home.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »
Steeler I agree with you 100%.  im not a teacher and don't have the experience of seeing the kids in school but my believe is the parents today are to busy with themselves and their kids activities that they don't have time to teach them.  They expect schools to do that.

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
I am quite serious.  The younger we can start formal education, the better off we are.  I do agree that learning should start at home, as well as preparing a child to learn by teaching/modeling appropriate behavior.  I have a hearing impaired child....she was, at one point, totally deaf.  One thing the many speech therapists I've worked with told me was to make sure that any tv she watched was not a cartoon.  I will say that most of the parents I have met here do work with their kids at home.  I know that many do not and that is truly sad, both for the child, and for the parent....that time only comes once! My favorite time with my kids was doing homeschool preschool.  I hope it doesn't turn into a daycare model...it could be so much more.