Author Topic: New Gun Control Ordinances a topic at Township Meeting tonight.  (Read 2049 times)

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
New Gun Control Ordinances a topic at Township Meeting tonight.
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
One of the topics of the meeting tonight is proposed ordinance to ban all shooting with in the township limits, even if you have a proper backstop......Come have your voice heard!!!!

Offline chartres

• View Profile
Re: New Gun Control Ordinances a topic at Township Meeting tonight.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »
I'm not too sure they can legally do that.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
As far as I can tell, there is no board meeting tonight. The calender on the Township website says the next one is the 19th, am I wrong or are they trying something unethical.

Offline aharleydude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »
Never heard anything about it nor was there any mention about this township even thinking about going in that direction. Makes you really wonder about the mentality of some of our elected officials and for that matter some of the residences of this community. There are numerous properties in this township that are large enough to set up a good, safe firing range. Granted I am not talking about a residential neighborhood as one of those places. Sound like a brain child of a few neanderthal thinking individuals looking to attack some of our freedoms and liberties again. 

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »
Well this was interesting. I found the notice in today's Monroe Evening News, got to the meeting with 5 minutes to spare. It seems the last board back in November passed a resolution to request the DNR to hold a hearing to limit or ban hunting and/or discharge of firearms in all or portions or Bedford Township. There is a claim that there were published notices in the paper, I never saw any. Smacks of something underhanded here. Most of the people there heard about it on Facebook or word of mouth. I expected most of the pro-ban comments to come from residents of the newer subdivisions, however there were none. It seems (and I hope the DNR could see it) that it is primarily a dispute between two or three adjacent property owners, so they want to shut down the entire township because they don't like firearms and want to use the private property of others for their own personal recreation area. We went through this a dozen or so years ago, the DNR did not recommend any action at that time. What I didn't hear were any reports of personal injuries or property damage caused by errant bullets or arrows.

Offline Bedford News

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »
The www.bedfordyes.com web site has been up-dated to include the newspaper article in the Monroe Evening News on February 12, 2013 “"Shooting rules topic of Bedford hearing"

Here is the direct link to the page where it is located: http://www.bedfordyes.com/BedfordTownship.htm#news
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:23:43 AM by Bedford News »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
So the article was posted in a local paper the day of the meeting although the meeting was probably scheduled a month ago.

Offline Mike Malone Sr.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »
I went to the meeting on tuesday. I did try to look it up on the Townships website and it also had nothing on the agenda. I would of thought that there would of been something in the Bedford Now, or the Bedford press because these are OUR local papers. I do not get the Monroe Evening News. We also have that cable channel that broadcast the Township Meetings on Tuesdays that it should of been on when the advertisements are playing. It could of been on this website as well...Not every method is guaranteed. but these are additional methods to inform the public on a subject that is involving our 2nd amendment rights.
 Now, my take on the meeting. I feel that a few people have complained and that the prior board had to do something. I think that the DNR did a good job on trying to keep the meeting fair and civil. I think that the people expressed there concerns (both sides) with valid points. I would hope that the only recommendation the DNR makes is that the Homeowner must have a proper backstop and enforcement of noise ordinances if violated.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
i don't want to keep beating on this meeting but it sure sounds like the township officials did not want a bunch of people there.  If that's true we should throw them all out.

Offline Bedford News

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
Several residents have contacted me concerning if there is video of the meeting where the resolution was passed to have a hearing by the DNR concerning firearms discharge in Bedford Township.

The resolution was passed at the November 13, 2012 Bedford Township Board Meeting.  Listed below is a link to the page where the video is posted.  Just go down to the November 13, 2012 meeting and click on “Watch Video of the Meeting”.  The discussion starts at the 3:30 minute mark in the video and goes to the 8:45 minute mark.  You can also read the minutes of the meeting by clicking on the “Minutes” under this section of web page listed below.

http://www.bedfordyes.com/BedfordTownshipAgendaMinutesVideo.htm

Offline Bedford News

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
A link to the letter that Bedford Township received from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources on May 2, 2013 in response to the township’s request concerning “Hunting Area Control in Bedford Township” has been posted to the www.bedfordyes.com web site.  Here is a direct link to where the letter is located:

http://www.bedfordmi.org/docs/Hunting_Area_Control_Denied_in_Bedford_Twp_.pdf

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »