Author Topic: Police Don't Care About ID Thieves  (Read 3216 times)

Offline randysehl

• View Profile
Re: Police Don't Care About ID Thieves
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »
I'm don't agree with the premise that "Police Don't Care About ID Thieves" or the other postulates of what  "police logic" lead to.   I think it would be very informative to get a deputy's perspective on the comments.   

If priorities have to be made, I would rather our Sheriff deputies spend their time on more serious crimes and other issues like conducting more random visits to our school buildings (which I understand they are now doing).

Mr. Hoffa, since I am a deputy sheriff and you asked for some insight, I will offer it.  First to Bedforddady, I am sorry that you had a negative experience with the law enforcement agency (I'm not sure if it was the Sheriff's Office or the Michigan State Police) that you spoke to about your situation.  If you were not satisfied with the response, you do have some options.  If it was the Sheriff's Office, I would first encourage you to contact Sheriff's Sgt. Heath Velliquette.  He is in charge of the Bedford Substation and the 16 deputies that work out of that station.  He will address your concerns.  Or you can always call the Sheriff's Office directly and speak to the administration up to and including the Sheriff Dale Malone.  And If the matter was handled by the State Police, I'm certain you could call the state police post in Monroe and relay your concerns to the post commander there as well.  For now, I will reserve my thoughts about the "police logic" comment.

In the big picture, I guess a garbage thief or snooper may not be a high priority for law enforcement.  But the matter certainly deserves a response, especially in Bedford Township where the residents support and pass a special law enforcement millage which provides additional police coverage by the Sheriff's Office.  The dispatch center and deputies often must prioritize calls for service, with some shifts sometimes being absolutely crazy and other times relatively slow.  But every call deserves some type of response.

And back to Mr. Hoffa.  Yes all of the deputies working the day or afternoon shift out of the Bedford substation have been making periodic or daily checks at all south county schools including Bedford Public, Mason Consolidated, Whiteford Agricultural, New Bedford Academy, State Line Christian, St. Joseph Erie, Summerfield and Ida Schools.  Monroe County currently has 57 total sheriff deputies.  Approximately 10 years ago we had 82 deputies.  However the loss of 8 school resource officers, 5 contracted deputy positions and 12 county-paid deputies have taken it's toll.  We are often stretched thin now, but the safety of the community and all of its residents, including our children at school, remains a top priority for all of us that work there.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:58:32 AM by randysehl »

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Your perspective is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
I've had my home burglerized and cars broken into over the last 20 years.  I've caught illegal dumping into a creek.  All of which I would consider serious offenses.  I've had the same resolution 10 years ago when we had 82 deputies as I did last year with 57.   

Offline randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
Well Hondo I assume you meant that no one was caught in those situations?  And yes, sometimes that is going to happen.  It often takes the eyes and ears of concerned citizens to help stop crime.  Law enforcement officers also rely upon evidence, tips and leads to help solve a crime.  If none, or very few of those are present, a crime might not be solved and/or successfully prosecuted.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:30:19 PM by randysehl »

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
Illegal dumping into a creek merits at least 2 SWAT teams and launching the Raptor.

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »
Illegal dumping into a creek merits at least 2 SWAT teams and launching the Raptor.

You have no clue do you Heisenberg?  Dumping acid wash into a creek kills everything.  But, what do you care.  Plus, you missed the point, but what else is new.

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
You have no clue do you Heisenberg?  Dumping acid wash into a creek kills everything.  But, what do you care.  Plus, you missed the point, but what else is new.

What do you honestly expect the police to do about someone dumping acid wash into a creek? Bust down their door and haul them off to jail? Shoot their dog? What response do you think is appropriate?

I think one of the biggest problems we have in Bedford Township is people whose first thought is to call the police and report their neighbors for anything they find offensive. We need to act more neighborly instead of wasting police resources on petty differences.

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »

What do you honestly expect the police to do about someone dumping acid wash into a creek? Bust down their door and haul them off to jail? Shoot their dog? What response do you think is appropriate?

I think one of the biggest problems we have in Bedford Township is people whose first thought is to call the police and report their neighbors for anything they find offensive. We need to act more neighborly instead of wasting police resources on petty differences.

So if anyone can answer this, please enlighten me.  A commerical pool company is emptying it's tanker of both  pool water and acid based cleaner into a Bedford township creek.  The entire creek is white with the chemical.  What would you do?

Heisenberg?

Randy, what should I have expected from the sheriff's department?

Offline randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

So if anyone can answer this, please enlighten me.  A commerical pool company is emptying it's tanker of both  pool water and acid based cleaner into a Bedford township creek.  The entire creek is white with the chemical.  What would you do?

Heisenberg?

Randy, what should I have expected from the sheriff's department?
A law enforcement response would be to notify; Monroe County Health Department, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and possibly HAZMAT and to identify the person responsible for the incident. 

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »
Sounds like a Federal offense.  I'd start with the EPA.

I had a similar problem many years ago.  Some guy was dumping daily waste upstream into my creek.  Called the EPA and they came out with the Coast Guard.  I never saw so many guys hit that creek...probably 30 or 40.  They caught the guy in about 3 days.

Just curious...how do you know the makeup of the liquid going into the creek?  Your description sounds pretty precise.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
Call the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the Department of Natural Resources, the Township Hall, and your State Representative. Just don't stay quiet on it, the squeaky wheel does get the grease.