Author Topic: Police Don't Care About ID Thieves  (Read 3100 times)

Offline BedfordDaddy

• View Profile
Police Don't Care About ID Thieves
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
Two weeks ago someone stole my rental garbage can with the garbage in it.  Today, I caught a woman in our neighborhood taking garbage bags out of cans and putting them in her car.  I called police and they did nothing.  Told me once you put trash to the curb it becomes "public commodity".  Funny...I thought going on somebody's driveway and stealing trash that could potentially lead to ID theft was trespassing and stealing.  I ask the police if my WHOLE garbage can is public commodity even though I had to pay to have it replaced....SILENCE from police.  I then let police know by using their logic...I can run over or shoot said thief when they are opening my garbage can...because that would make them "public commodity."   I also told police that the majority of ID theft is a result of stolen trash. 

Here is description and license plate number of the lady stealing your trash:

White Female
Mid 50's
Long Blonde/gray hair
Glasses
295-315 lbs
Drives WHite station wagon with wood paneling on the side
License:  OHIO C145MT
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:59:12 PM by BedfordDaddy »

Offline chartres

• View Profile
Re: Police Don't Care About ID Thieves
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
This has gone all the way to the Supreme Court, once you place your trash on the public right-of-way, it is open for anyone to dig through. This is why they sell paper shredders, there is no reason to have anything in your trash that can be taken and used to steal your identity. If you can't afford a shredder, use a match and burn it.

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
Don't bring up burning.  We'll have a whole discussion about that again!  BTW, I shred and use the shredding to get my woodburner going.

Rule of thumb, Shred Everything!  (OR BURN IT)

Offline BedfordDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
I do shred everything that contains important information..  My point is not what should I do...my point is I can't believe police consider something sitting on my property...my driveway...up for grabs and open to the public.  Again, does this logic also apply to my kids playing in my front yard?  Are they public commodity?  According to police logic...yes, they are.   If I'm cutting the grass and run in the house for a second...does that give someone the right to take my lawn mower?  According to this logic by police...yes, it does.   But somehow, if I decide to stop the TRESPASSER and THIEF from taking my stuff in the same exact location...they will arrest me for defending my own property....then all of the sudden when the thief gets what they deserve...the police public commodity logic doesn't apply.  Hmmm.

Typical American law...do everything to protect the thief and nothing to protect the law abiding citizen...

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
I do shred everything that contains important information..  My point is not what should I do...my point is I can't believe police consider something sitting on my property...my driveway...up for grabs and open to the public.  Again, does this logic also apply to my kids playing in my front yard?  Are they public commodity?  According to police logic...yes, they are.   If I'm cutting the grass and run in the house for a second...does that give someone the right to take my lawn mower?  According to this logic by police...yes, it does.   But somehow, if I decide to stop the TRESPASSER and THIEF from taking my stuff in the same exact location...they will arrest me for defending my own property....then all of the sudden when the thief gets what they deserve...the police public commodity logic doesn't apply.  Hmmm.

Typical American law...do everything to protect the thief and nothing to protect the law abiding citizen...

How many times do people have to tell you this.  Garbage at the end of your driveway (which is in the public right-of-way) is allowed to be taken by ANYONE.  The supreme court has already ruled on this.  The police cannot enforce some special rules on your property just because you don't like it.  This pertains to "refuse" not to your kids or anything else.  Use some common sense here Bedforddaddy!

Online PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »
Could someone please reference the Supreme Court case on garbage.  I'd never heard of that  ruling.

And define garbage.  Just because I put something by the curb on garbage day doesn't necessarily mean that I have abandoned it.  For instance, In one city where I lived, they have a very aggressive recycling program.  We had recycle bins to put recyclables in.  That material...cans, bottles, metal, etc...belonged to the refuse company as soon as I put it by the curb.  And the amount of recyclables had a huge bearing on what next year's refuse rate was going to be.  Moreover, there was a local ordinance that made it unlawful for anyone other than the refuse company to take any of that material.  And the ordinance was strictly enforced.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
Bedforddaddy, you've got it right.  Trespassers have as much right to your property as you do.

Offline monte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
Throw away lots of very sharp objects in every bag along with strong smelling chemicals...keeps crooks and varmints (redundant) away!

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »
Here is the link to the SCOTUS decision, as you read it make certain you understand what you are reading, There is a difference between the majority decision and the dissenting. The long and short of it is you have no expectation of privacy in trash that you put out to be picked up by a third party. http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=486&invol=35
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:33:47 AM by chartres »

Offline BedfordDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Well...Keep it "positive".  I only need to be told once.  I am amazed at how easily you give away your liberties.  A couple points:

1. The Supreme Court can and has made bad decisions.  Just because they make something the law of the land doesn't mean its morally right.  Hence, Roe vs. Wade.
2. I'm glad you mentioned the Supreme Court ruling, because now I have legal Supreme Court backing when I deal with garbage thieves the way I see fit. After all, according to you and your Supreme Court...anything at the end of my driveway is public commodity...This includes thieves.  So, I won't be arrested when I dispose of the thieves.
3. You still have never addressed the question posed about kids and other personal items in my yard being considered public commodity...because you know you and the Supreme Court are flawed in your thinking.   
4. We'll see if you think the same way when someone goes on your driveway and steals something.

Fautlty Liberal Ideology: "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine."

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:30:09 PM »
Well...Keep it "positive".  I only need to be told once.  I am amazed at how easily you give away your liberties.  A couple points:

1. The Supreme Court can and has made bad decisions.  Just because they make something the law of the land doesn't mean its morally right.  Hence, Roe vs. Wade.
2. I'm glad you mentioned the Supreme Court ruling, because now I have legal Supreme Court backing when I deal with garbage thieves the way I see fit. After all, according to you and your Supreme Court...anything at the end of my driveway is public commodity...This includes thieves.  So, I won't be arrested when I dispose of the thieves.
3. You still have never addressed the question posed about kids and other personal items in my yard being considered public commodity...because you know you and the Supreme Court are flawed in your thinking.   
4. We'll see if you think the same way when someone goes on your driveway and steals something.

Fautlty Liberal Ideology: "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine."

I don't agree with Roe vs. Wade, but it doesn't give me the right to break the law or prohibit others from following same.

And as far as taking care of the other "commodities" in your yard, good luck with that.  I can read through the lines...you do that and you will likely meet someone in prison named "Bubba" and you will become LIFE long friends.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:31:44 PM by KeepItPositive »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
What the Supreme Court has ruled is you can't harm anyone for being on your property as long as they aren't a threat to you.  In your house is a different story but I wouldn't shoot them in the back.

Offline Domestic Goddess

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
B-daddy....all four of my teenage children are in my front yard.....I will NOT be calling the police if you decide to come and take them, they have worn me out.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I doubt the Supreme Court has ever ruled on harming someone on your property, that is state jurisdiction. In Michigan you can use deadly force only if the intruder is in your home or attached structure, not a garage or barn that is separated from your domicile. In Texas however, you can shoot someone in an unattached building if it is between sunset and sunrise. Strictly a state law issue. 

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
I don't agree with the premise that "Police Don't Care About ID Thieves" or the other postulates of what  "police logic" lead to.   I think it would be very informative to get a deputy's perspective on the comments.   

If priorities have to be made, I would rather our Sheriff deputies spend their time on more serious crimes and other issues like conducting more random visits to our school buildings (which I understand they are now doing).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:21:38 PM by J Hoffa »