Author Topic: Kroger On Sterns  (Read 2051 times)

BedfordDaddy

Kroger On Sterns
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »
I am curious what people in the community think of Kroger since the expansion.  Here's some of my thoughts:

1. Why did residents fight so hard against Wal-Mart but not Kroger?
2. Why do they keep that disgusting recycle program that smells and attracts less than desirables from Toledo?
3. If they have to keep recycling, why spend millions on store facelift only to have the entrance smell like rotten soda pop and beer.
4. Why don't they give that guy on the bike with all the cans a job? He works harder than most of the baggers.
5. Why do I have to bag my own groceries 80% of the time I go there?
6. Who in their right mind buys furniture or jewelry from a grocery store?
7. Why does that Asian guy have to yell so loud about the sushi?
8. How much are prices going to go up on products to pay for this building?
9. Why do all the young cashiers tell me I don't have to show my ID when writing a check and all the old cashiers tell me I do?
10. Why is their produce half the quality and size of Monette's and Anderson's but double the price? Oh yeah...see #8 for answer.
11. Why did they make me forget what store I was in by picking up a yogurt brand called Muller whose logo looks exactly like Meijer's?
12. Why don't they just ask me if I'm stealing something instead of asking if I have something on the bottom of my cart?
13. Who is that guy riding the big horse?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:29:47 PM by BedfordDaddy »

Online Buddy

• View Profile
Re: Kroger On Sterns
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Here's what I think.

I love the expansion. 
1.  I voted in favor of Wal Mart because of the jobs and the pricing competition.  I know some will say that they pay minimum wages, but for some, it's more than they are making now.
2.  Here we go again about those "less desirable"  I hope you are never down and out.
3.  I believe they are relocating the recycling center.  If the floor is sticky, don't walk on that section by going in the out door.  I have never noticed the actual entrance being sticky.
4.  Maybe he has never applied.
5.  Can't tell you when I last bagged my own.  Never been a problem.  Besides, if I did, it would be a better job than those high school kids.  Suppose you complain about pumping your own gas too.
6.  You would be surprised.  Bet you would buy it from Wal mart though. Same difference.
7.  Gets you attention doesn't it.
8.  Have yet to see an increase and we shop there for most of our groceries.
9.  You should really get out of the dark ages and use a debit card.  Save a tree!
10. If you don't like the produce and prices, don't buy there.  Monettes is not that far.
11.  Don't know, don't shop at Meijer's and I prefer Yoplait.
12. Again, not sure unless you feel guilty.  I like them asking because I have a bad back and by the time I get to those products, the only place left is on the bottom of the cart.
13. That is simply a figment of your imagination.

I can't wait for the completion.   

Offline Mike Malone Sr.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
I guess you can't make everyone happy... As a Bedford Daddy myself, Kroger has employed 2 of my children as Baggers and i would like to thank Krogers for giving my kids the opportunity to work. If you do not like the way your stuff is bagged, i suggest you use the self check out, or shop late at night when the High School kids are not working. I think Krogers deserves a big Thank You for giving many kids there first job, as there are not many other places in Bedford that do. Try the sushi, it's Great!!!

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
I like most of your points especially the one about the recycler on the bike.  He would probably out work most of them.
Writing checks!!!  who the hell does that anymore?

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
I'm surprised ANYBODY takes checks anymore.  At any rate, they don't even physically TAKE the check.  They just immediate scan the check...and take the money out of your account.  Works pretty much like a debit card.

Even the credit cards have gotten streamlined.  Most places now don't even require your signature if the purchase is under $50.  Its a big convenience to both the purchaser and the seller.

As an aside...

Its the UNIONS that are against Walmart.  But Walmart has proved, over and over again, that they are one of the best neighbors you can have.  They recently committed to hiring 100,000 veterans (disabled, if I recall) during the next 5 years.  What an astounding commitment!!!

Bedford recently hired 2 administrative personnel...and veterans weren't even CONSIDERED.  I'll betcha we could have found 2 disabled veterans in the area that would have jumped for joy to get a job paying $36,000.

Besides, the hiring was probably unlawful.  I'm only guessing, but I would think that we're bound by the Federal guidelines for hiring (Title VI, I think) since we're getting subsidies on our road repairs.

Hats off to Walmart.  Shame on Bedford.  Nepotism at its finest.

Offline Director29

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
The salad bar is great. I try to eat there once a week. The pharmacy did not get any more efficient in their new location except the drive by window is nice. Krogher's produce will never be as good as Monnetts but is acceptable. The store is really too big to be intimate but has a lot of stuff (that we probably don't need).

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
I just have a hard time thinking that when someone needs a new couch they run to Kroger.

Offline betachips

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
Why can't you just be happy to have such a state of the art Kroger in your community?  I doubt prices will increase, this store is a large chain, the costs will be absorbed everywhere, that's how it works.  It's not a mom and pop store that mortgaged the farm to renovate for goodness sake.  It's just amazing sometimes what little some people know about how the world works.  Someone has issues far greater than what's inside his local Kroger store.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
Nothing wrong with the store.  I like it and always did.  I like the new deli stuff and the Chinese guys trying to sell their sushi.  I think it adds some class to the place.
It's just not the place I would go shopping for furniture, but apparently enough people do.

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
I missed the furniture section!  I love the sushi stand and the expanded cheese display.  The cold bar is awesome.  I think they will be expanding their organic foods section also, that will be nice.  There is a huge difference between Kroger and Walmart. The meat at Kroger is safer.  The employees are treated better, I've never had a bad experience with them.  While the recycle section might get sticky, it never smells as vomit inducing as the one at the Food Town in Temperance.

Offline Nikki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
you all will be happy to know that they moved the recycle section to the West side of the building and closed off the part where it was.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
Actually they should make the recycle center only large enough for 1 or 2 people then make the rest stand in line outside.  Not a way to treat regular customers that return bottles but why should regular customers be made to wait in line behind a bunch of drug addicts for a half hour to return the weeks cans and bottles?  I make a separate trip to Toledo to buy pop so i don't have to mess with the cans.  I let Action pick them up.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
When the State laws require deposits on bottles it's the obligation of the stores that sell them to provide a way to return them. Just because you "run to Ohio" to purchase beer and pop does not mean everyone does or should be expected to. So many fought so long to keep a Meijer from building on this site, now we have a Kroger that is just as big. When Meijer wanted to build it was finally shot down because the site was declared a "wetland", I've always wondered what happened to that wetland status, guess it just dried up.

BedfordDaddy

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
Really enjoyed the responses, especially buddies! Good funny stuff Buddy! Some of you took it way to serious and got defensive...must be liberals. People like me me still use checks because I refuse to pay the countless fees and penalty's on bank debit card fees...if you want to just hand the bank money for no reason thats your choice...the majority of the country just voted tax hikes for themselves...so l'm not surprised you dont mind handing over your hard earned money for nonsense.  Apparently not enough people buy furniture at Kroger because that department failed and was removed from Miracle Mile Kroger only 5 minutes away. Yes, there are some good baggers there...when they're there. Finally, the guy on big horse is real...I see him there often and have had others tell me the same. Oh yeah...As a business owner...I know how the world works and if you think the cost are not going to affect you because its a big corporation...then you better re-take some economic classes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:27:20 PM by BedfordDaddy »

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
BD, you bank at the wrong place.,  There is no fee for using Debit cards, at least at local credit unions.