Author Topic: Buckeye Cable and Fox 36 Toledo agreement deprives Bedford residents  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Mike Malone Sr.

• View Profile
I thought i would post this subject to see how others feel. I have been a Buckeye cable subscriber since they bought out our cable area several years ago. I am disapointed that i cannot receive fox 36 out of Toledo anymore. I called both Buckeye cable and Fox 36 today and they both blame each other for this. Toledo residents can view Fox 36, and can't view Fox 2 Detroit, and we get Fox 2 Detroit and can't view Fox 36 Toledo. I do not wan't to watch Fox 2 Detroit because it is 50 miles away from my home and Toledo is 2 miles away. I'm considering dropping my Buckeye Cablevision subscription. Why is Bedford caught in the middle of this dispute?

Offline Really?

• View Profile
Re: Buckeye Cable and Fox 36 Toledo agreement deprives Bedford residents
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »
I thought the same thing.  I called Buckeye tonight and got the runaround.   Funny, Comcast in Adrian area still carries FOX Toledo.  I am considering switching to another provider such as the Dish.  The main selling point for Buckeye used to be local news but If it is now coming from Detroit I can switch providers and save a bundle of cash. 

Offline pinklady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:57:40 PM »
When we got frustrated with cable, we went to Directv.  We wanted to get Toledo news so we put a small roof antenna up.  With one remote we can switch from Direct to our roof antenna, so I guess we will be able to get Fox.  I believe most who have posted that it is about money (like everything else).  Our system works really well.

Offline Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
My first reaction was that it basically sucked not to receive the local channel.  Then I thought about it and realized that I can still watch the few shows, and I mean few shows, that I watch on that channel by turning on the Detroit affiliate.  The only thing that I'll miss is the ten o'clock news since I laid in bed and watched it.  However, when they started using channel 11's staff I watched less.  I prefer 13's news team, but settled for what I got at 10pm.  So I doubt that I'll be changing providers any time soon.

Offline Mike Malone Sr.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
I too liked watching local news at 10 p.m. I really don't give a crap about Detroit's news as Detroit sucks the state of Michigan dry. I am a subscriber of Buckeye Cablevision out of Toledo, and should be able to view Toledo channels. That was one of there selling points. When has there been a story on Fox 2 Detroit about Bedford??? Do you think Detroit cares about us??? NOPE

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
Ch 36 is back, sort of..If you have basic cable without the receiver you still don't get Toledo Fox which came across on ch 12 and 36.1.
But as one poster says you can get all of Toledo stations off a basic HD antenna and it doesn't have to be very high. Just clear of trees.  The HD signal is much better than the old TV signal we use to get off the big roof top antennas.  I've been using Directv and the antenna for Toledo since Directv won't give Michigan residents Toledo programming.  Even though we are almost Toledo they say they have to give us Detroit.  Something about the Neilson rating system but Neilson says that's not true.  So there was no fighting them.

Offline Mike Malone Sr.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
Well when a Tigers game or Lions game is blacked out because of not selling out, and Toledo can view it and we can't is CRAP!!! I have to Call 419-724-9800 when my cable is down, therefore i'm a part of the Toledo viewing area!

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »
OK, this is where having a good lawyer and know the right people work. You must also know the FCC broadcast rights or residency broadcasting code.

Anyway, a way to get around this, and I know several that are, most are business owners with addresses in Toledo.

If you get your bill to an address in Toledo, by law, they must furnish you Toledo channels.

Enough said...

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
Buy a Radio Shack indoor antenna (looks like the old rabbit ears) for about $10...and an A/B box.  Works excellent.  And you get all the local stations in HD.

Offline randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
I called Buckeye this morning to voice my concern as well. I was told that the situation might be rectified depending on the outcome of the court proceeding.  So in the meantime, I can join the rest of you and either watch Fox 52 in Detroit or connect an antenna to watch 36 (12) locally.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
Actually i was able to get 36.1 for the pregame stuff on Sunday but soon after it went away.  If you can get it when you have a buckeye receiver I guess I don't understand the differenc

Offline monte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »
I've heard that the law suit is being dropped because of the settlement.  Fox is the one that decides where there programming is viewed as allowed by the FCC.  Buckeye's lawsuit had to do with the amount being paid for re-transmission, of a public channel, by a new owner.   

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »
But I don't understand why it is only being broadcast to those that have a receiver.  Maybe they have a problem to correct but they haven't answered my email in over a week.

Offline monte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »
Fox does not allow Buckeye to carry WUPW to anyone in Michigan, regardless of how you are getting the Buckeye signal to your TV.  You can still get WUPW over the air by using an antenna.  May not like it, may not understand it, but that's the way it is for now.