Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Mike Malone Sr.

• View Profile
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
Education is power. Period. I feel that in most situations you need to be educated somehow. I know when i build something with instructions it educates me to some form of degree to assemble that task. As far as gun safety, i'm all in favor of training or taking a class to learn more. And i have. I unfortunately missed the CPL re-certification class or seminar that was offered for free at Cabelas last weekend. I try to go to these classes or workshops to keep up on current laws and procedures. I feel if you are a gun owner you need some form of training, whether you get it from your elders or by taking classes. Once you pull the trigger, you can't change the outcome.
 As far as "Smart Guns" go, i don't think i would ever purchase such a thing. One thing that come to mind to me, is that all the technology in security systems in automobiles,and yet they still manage to steal them. Or better yet, computer hackers that still manage to hack the most fool proof systems. So having this technology in a handgun just doesnt sit well with me...

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
"Smart guns" are now becoming available. They cannot be fired by someone not wearing the ring or wristband worn by the gun's owner.

If they were so great, then law enforcement would be one of the first in line to use them. After all, weapon retention is a big deal for police officers when dealing with dangerous people. Yet no law enforcement agency I am aware of is considering adopting them. And every proposed mandate of so-called "smart guns" includes an exemption for law enforcement.

And the reason? The technology is not proven, and police officers need reliable guns that won't fail. Well guess what, so do I. I am not interested in spending 4x as much for a gun that is less reliable just to assuage the ignorant fears of gun-control advocates.

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
If "Smart Guns" are the way to go, then invest in a company to put them on the market and let the market decide if they are reliable or not. You will be as well off as if you invested in Enron or M.F. Global.

Offline BUZZARDCS

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
B.W. , Please re-read and TRY to understand what I posted yesterday.  I never said ANYTHING about the training and safe handling of a firearm in these classes will somehow  infrindge on your 2nd. amendment rights,
PERIOD!!!! ......................  GOT IT NOW? I will stand beside you and help defend it.  Hoops & loops, ah,..... come on.  Simply said again, when or if you ever decide to take a gun SAFETY course you will be much more informed about your right to defend yourself.  You DO NOT have to register any weapons,(if you own any), and many classes want you to use their firearms so you may become more comfortable arould them. So please don't condemn something you apperantly don't know anything about.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:34:04 AM by BUZZARDCS »

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
Buzzard....I am not going to reply to you in a snarky manner....although the temptation is great.  I don't think I did a great job telling my point.  I am most certainly for responsible firearm ownership.  I belive in developing muscle memory for any sidearm, firearm or weapon you carry.  What I am against is making said training a condition of ownership.  Some of the people on here know me personally and know that I am a huge proponent for training and training safely.  As far as not knowing or being uncomfortable....I will only say that my job reqired my proficiency with many different weapons.  My comfort level and knowledge level are well where they should be...better than some, less than others. BTW....should you wish instruction in said safety courses...or even some higher level courses...private message me and I will be glad to instruct you.  I am quite confident in my skill set and I keep my certifications up to date with ongoing training.

Offline BUZZARDCS

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
Thank you for your reply and I DO apalogize if I came accross as "snarky".  This is a very important subject to both you and I and there are a lot of folks out there that think they have all the answers  only to find out they are just opinions, not a lot based on facts. I'm impressed by your post and appreciate it.  I, and many others are painfully aware of this current administrations goals and will reject any efforts by them or anyone to denigrate the Constitution in any way. I think of  all the men and women who've died to protect it, and I thank you to all who have served.

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »
Although many parts of the Constitution are still pertinent to our modern world, in general it is an outdated document and should constantly be revised.  I fear we don't scrutinize it often enough.  It been a long time since we've added any amendments to it.

Offline Peter Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
We should should add an Amendment to the Constitution that prohibits the government from amending the constitution.

;)

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
The 'government'?  Not sure I understand.

Offline Heisenberg

• Writer. Thinker. Scientist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »
Although many parts of the Constitution are still pertinent to our modern world, in general it is an outdated document and should constantly be revised.  I fear we don't scrutinize it often enough.  It been a long time since we've added any amendments to it.

21 years. Not THAT long of time.