Author Topic: Bedford School System  (Read 3669 times)

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
Re: Bedford School System
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
GRHTX,

You might want to cancel that check.  I was reading on FaceBook this weekend that Bedford Interim Superintendent Jon White and the School Board will be voting at the next board meeting to go ahead and cut the junior high deputy to save about $37,000 for the rest of the school year.  I thought it was a done deal to keep him for the rest of the school year??  What changed?  It appears that Jon White and the School Board now all of a sudden need to follow the Deficit Elimination Plan.  A plan which was in affect back in August when they hired the additional second junior high assistant principal back at a cost of $125,000.00..  Deficit now.  Deficit then.  Seems like the rules apply only when the administration wants to have them  Shame on them.  It seems about 8 out of 10 people who post on here feel strongly about keeping the deputy in the junior high.  So how could that still be accomplished?  Parents raised over $40,000 in fundraising.   So how about the school district cutting some of the $250,000.00+ in legal fees they pay each year to their lawyers.  How about cutting some of the $10,000.00 a month accounting firm fees the district is paying because they have failed to hire a financial officer.  What about using the Smith Road Elementary rental money from Spring Arbor College to pay for the deputy as they did last year?  These are all good questions that should be answered.  Unfortunately, i will be out of town and unable to make the board meeting in December.  Maybe someone would like to ask these tough questions.
KIP

Online randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
KIP you heard or read correctly.  It looks as if the elimination needs to occur by the end December to keep the school district in compliance with the deficit elimination plan filed with the state.  We really do not need to re-hash the pros and cons of this.  It has already been done.   And although unfortunate, this is the first of many deep cuts that will affect the students, staff and community of Bedford Public Schools.   

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
And in the meantime some school districts within 50 miles of here get twice the $$$ per student as Bedford from the state.

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
Go to the link below, compare the Detroit Public School District with Bedford.  Pay attention specifically to the "per Pupil" costs.  DPS is 20,000, BPS half that.  Also, notice how much Federal $ DPS gets "per pupil".

The data are sortable by district and available online at: http://www.mackinac.org/depts/epi/fiscal.aspx

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 05:51:49 AM »
That comparison is one of the biggest reasons families should fill out the free and reduced lunch forms.  Even if a family doesn't use the program...it affects funding.  Do any of you know when the meeting is?  I think the issue of the liason officer is much bigger than just the schools issue.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
The only way things get attention is people have to raise ....., well you know what i mean.
The state should be allocating the same amount to each and every student.  Ypsi schools get twice what Bedford does.  There are some pretty hefty houses in Ypsi paying more taxes that what we pay in Bedford so there is other moneys for their schools.

Online randysehl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
The only way things get attention is people have to raise ....., well you know what i mean.
The state should be allocating the same amount to each and every student.  Ypsi schools get twice what Bedford does.  There are some pretty hefty houses in Ypsi paying more taxes that what we pay in Bedford so there is other moneys for their schools.

I checked that website too.  It is sad that the state keeps throwing money at failing school districts like Detroit and others, and yet takes away money from districts like Bedford which has Blue Ribbon schools, commendable and leading MEAP scores and a lot of other success.  Unfortunately, it seems as if you must FAIL to get extra money from the State.  Success is punished and failure is rewarded.  How sad.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:35:07 PM by randysehl »