Author Topic: October is cancer awareness month.  (Read 877 times)

Offline steelerfan73

• View Profile
October is cancer awareness month.
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
 The entire month of October has been designated for cancer prevention, awareness and research. Glad that all cancers will be recognized this month, not just breast cancer. The other cancers like ovarian, testicular, bladder, pancreatic etc etc are just as important. It is great that the high school had some breast and testicular cancer awareness with the medical field and survivors talk to the kids and then separated guys and girls to show proper self examination. Testicular cancer strikes between ages of 18-35 so it is very important the guys know the signs and symptoms.

I felt cornered at Krogers as everything is pink right now....I want to say why not teal for ovarian or just purple for all. If you have had someone you love fight a battle with pancreatic or ovarian or lung cancers you will understand my negativity. I know that a breakthrough for pink will benefit all but it is such a slick marketing machine that alot of people are turned off instead of energized. With all the monies raised with marathons, apparel, food, and other marketable items it is a wonder that more progress hasn't been made.

Offline pinklady

• View Profile
Re: October is cancer awareness month.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »
SF  just for your info...all cancers are celebrated in different months.  September was ovarian and several other cancer months......sorry you feel that way about PINK......1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime  and unlike many other cancers after 5 years you are not deemed "cured" just in long term remission.  It is being diagnosed younger women every year.  3% of breast cancers are found in men...yes men can get it too!  Race for the Cure is just for breast cancer, but Relay for Life is for all cancers.  If you have never been to our local
relay in May, you should.  Because of all fund raisers more advances in treatment are being found some without the nasty effects of chemo...take it from me chemotherapy is nasty stuff.  So if it takes the color pink or teal to increase awareness so be it.  Kroger, I believe, is a sponsor of the Race for the Cure. That is one of the reasons for all their pink.

Offline steelerfan73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »
I have supported Relay for Life since the onset...I am aware of statistics. My point is that all cancers matter. If breast cancer unlocks the cure for cancers then I say wonderful. I just in the meantime will still cringe as I am approached at the cash register and the mass marketing machine it has become.

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
I will say that Steelerfan73 is right and so is pinklady. Yes the sea of pink is out there and Kroger does promote it but then so does Walgreens and Home Depot and Lowes and more. Are you aware that certain flowers across the US are pretty much contracted for for a year period so if that is what you want you buy pink. If it bothers you that PINK is so prominent then I think it is up to you to contact both the stores and the particular cancer type or general cancer such as the Cancer Society and tell them that we support them locally and would like to see a bigger display put on to support and raise money for them as well as getting people more aware. I am sure that Doug DeArmond, the manager of Krogers, would be in support of this if he is given advance notice so that he can get national headquarter approval. I am sure the PINK is nationally approved so it is not just here that you would see the pink. Cancer is out there and it affects every one of us in some way. We have all had losses because of it. I lost a very good friend in April to esophageal cancer and the list goes on. Almost every week, I get a request to add someone to my prayers who has been diagnosed with....... It is sad. I want a cure found and I think like the common cold that even if one is found it will be kept hidden because cancer is too much of a money maker for some.
It is time to talk

Offline signal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »
     Cancer awareness is great. Pink is overdone. There
are two ways of detecting breast cancer early - self
exams and mammograms. My ex - wife died of leukemia.
She was 34 yrs. old. Our daughter was only 7 yrs. old
at the time. No early warning for that, and a very low
survival rate. No special color for leukemia, as far as I
know.
     One of my Aunts had skin cancer; she had surgery,
and radiation, and has been in remission for 30 years.
     I think there should be one color for all cancer.

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
Signal.  Now, most practicioners teach women to have their partner do the monthly exam...they will find things earlier.  Mammograms are good but a breast sonogram is better, things can be picked up much earlier and they are more definitive.  My condolences on your ex wife.  Any cancer is horrible and it's a huge black cloud over not only your life but those in your family.  I do agree that breast cancer gets alot of publicity....I also know that research of any kind is a good thing and often times they have found effective treatments for other cancers through breast cancer research.  I agree about the "one" color things....

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
Every day of every month is cancer awareness to me, I don't need colors or slogans. Eat right and eliminate the crap in your diet and a lot of the cancer will never strike you. Funny that Kroger supports cancer awareness when the sell most of the junk that causes it to begin with.

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Every day of every month is cancer awareness to me, I don't need colors or slogans. Eat right and eliminate the crap in your diet and a lot of the cancer will never strike you. Funny that Kroger supports cancer awareness when the sell most of the junk that causes it to begin with.

You would have to provide examples of the "crap" Kroger sells that causes cancer.  I know an excellent attorney.

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Please stop. Cancer affects every single one of us to some degree. Arguing about a color dominance or more publicity for one over all ohers. It is ridiculous. The point whether it is pink or purple or whatever is to be aware. It is out there and that in reality you could be the next in line. Everyone has cancer cell in their bodies. Fortunately those cells are not mutating into something bad. Chartres, everything is bad for you or can be including the air we breath and the water we drink. Even the sun that is in the sky.

I pray that every one of you stays safe and healthy.
It is time to talk

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
I know that some of you are negative to the color "pink" but there was a very good article on breast cancer in the Toledo Blade today. It was very informational and even though it was directed at breast cancer I felt that it had other information in it that anyone with cancer in their lives should know for future reference. I did not like the statistics. 1 more whatever kind of cancer is too many. I have had another addition to my prayers in the last week. The cancer was just found and hospice has been called in. He is 96 and he is my foster dad. All I can ask is that the time he has left, that it be as painfree and as peaceful as is all possible. My wonderful, much loved foster mom is waiting for him anxiously in heaven. She loved him dearly. She was taken to heaven by God about 5 years ago. A fast growing cancer took her in less than 2 weeks from the time it was discovered. She thought she had the flu. As I said previously, cancer touches us all. Stay safe, everyone, and healthy, I pray that for you all.
It is time to talk