Author Topic: Bedford  (Read 9344 times)

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
Re: Bedford
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
Bedford needed property for a cemetery.  Most people agree with that.  But they scammed the public by buying property for that purpose and said oh by the way we need 10 acres or so for the cemetery and the other 40 acres is for the park that we didn't need.

Offline bedford wife

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 08:26:20 AM »
I tried to find out some information and hit a wall.  If only 10 acres are set aside out of this property for a cemetary, does that mean that some of the park would be repurposed if the cemetary fills up?  I think the point about not having to clear the land is a good one....maybe that is why this particular piece of property was chosen.  It also doesn't seem prone to flooding....I'm sure we don't want New Orleans style floating caskets.....

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 09:05:27 AM »
I'm sure Walt and the park board could clear this up in a big hurry if they wanted to.  A lot of work was done to get the property and divert sewer moneys into the financing.  It just didn't happen.

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Part of the moneys for the park came directly from the funds that the park board had set aside for a new park. To the gentleman that objected to my word repaving and the amount of roads that had been repaved, my number stands. The number for roads that have had work done on like tar and gravel and other such needs is over 150 miles.

No we are not a sleepy little town or pure country as this was back 40 years ago. We have had more work done in the last 8 years than has been done since I moved into Bedford in 1991. Let me clarify that, since I moved to Michigan back in 1984. I lived in Erie Township prior to 1991, so I know what Bedford was like prior to that time as well. Despite the economic downturn, we have had many openings and expansions of different businesses. That is terrific in these times. If you would like me to expand on those, I would be glad to just let me know.

Everyone enjoy the great fall weather!!!
It is time to talk

Offline signal

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
     Instead of being blind - sided by the Township powers
that be with a purchase of land for a park, how about
asking the voters if we want another one? After several
years of complaining about not enough money, and
cancelling mosquito spraying to save $60,000, all of a
sudden the trustees bought a big chunk of land, and then
wanted the voters to approve higher taxes to pay for the
necessary improvements to convert it. What gives?
    Why couldn't they have authorized moving money from
whatever fund they used to buy the land, into the operating
fund, and restart mosquito spraying?
    If we are strapped for funds, and we keep falling behind in
road repairs, how does it make sense to buy land for a park
no one requested?
    I have tried watching the trustee meetings on TV, but I never
see any real debate on important issues. I think they violate
the sunshine law by getting together ahead of time, in private,
to work out their differences, and the the public meetings are
just them going through the formalities and voting.

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
The mosquito spraying was cancelled/cut from the budget because of 2 things. Number 1 is the fact that spraying along a road onto the air does not take care of the mosquito problems. You have to get back into the wooded areas to do the job right. The township is still supplying the pellets to the people of Bedford to put where there is standing water etc. That takes you and me not a paid employee of the township to do. Number 2 you have been stating we need more police. Well cutting that program paid for 1 police officer. I think we need the police officer more. You cannot do that job as Joe Public.

So my suggestion is, keep standing water at a minimum at your home, make sure that if there is a lot of underbrush and weeds around so that things cannot dry out, cut it and clean it up. Make sure that if you have a ditch along the road you keep it clear of debris etc that would keep the water from flowing in times of large rains.
It is time to talk

Offline pinklady

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
Time to Talk.....you are really a breath of fresh air!!!  Nice to see someone besides myself tries to find the good in our township.  Enjoy reading your upbeat posts!!!!

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
What other cemeteries does Bedford township have?

Offline PackersFan

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:02 PM »
T2T...if I may add...

1.  Look into the history of DDT...which was "entirely safe" at the time of its inception
You may decide that spraying for mosquitoes is not worth the risk of body changes that may
affect your great-great grandchildren.

2.  Don't kill the critters that help keep down the mosquito population.  In many cases, this would
include the use of combo lawn fertilizers and pesticides.

3.  Build structures and/or make your immediate environment friendly to animals that welcome
mosquitoes and their larvae as food.  This would include:  most birds (especially barn swallows,
bats), snakes, frogs, larger insects (spiders, centipedes, preying mantis). If you have a large
wooded area, you can buy some of these controlling insects in large quantities (mantis, lady
bugs, etc.) and set them loose on your property. 

If you build any bird houses...for starlings, etc...save the receipts.  If Romney is elected,
you may be able to deduct these on your income taxes.

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:33 AM »
Thank you pink lady

and you are absolutely correct Packers fan. Check into martins. They adore eating mosquitos by the dozens. You know I have not seen a garter snake around in a heck of a long time. Maybe that timber rattler I did find killed them.

Well I do not know about the last statement in your statement being correct. I am not privy to that information.

Bye the way Go Packers!!!!!!!
It is time to talk

Offline chartres

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »
I would dearly love to see a listing of the 26 miles of roads that were paved with blacktop in Bedford this year, like I said, I only know of a one mile stretch of Sterns and the current quarter mile stretch of Summerfield, list them here please. As far as the township providing pellets for mosquitoes, they would only allow me to have two packets per month, about enough to treat two 6' x 6' puddles, not enough when you have a half acre flooded and nowhere to drain it to. I may sound easy for someone living in a subdivision with sewers to eliminate standing water, but not so easy when you live in an undeveloped area. Fifty years ago Bedford was basically all swamp and sand hills, some of those swamps still exist.

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
I would dearly love to see a listing of the 26 miles of roads that were paved with blacktop in Bedford this year, like I said, I only know of a one mile stretch of Sterns and the current quarter mile stretch of Summerfield, list them here please. As far as the township providing pellets for mosquitoes, they would only allow me to have two packets per month, about enough to treat two 6' x 6' puddles, not enough when you have a half acre flooded and nowhere to drain it to. I may sound easy for someone living in a subdivision with sewers to eliminate standing water, but not so easy when you live in an undeveloped area. Fifty years ago Bedford was basically all swamp and sand hills, some of those swamps still exist.

Call and ask for a list of what roads where paved.  Don't complain about it and ask others to answer your question.  Call the township.  Also, let me get this right, you have 1/2 acre of flooded property, which means you probably have a few acres total AND you want the township to take care of your mosquito problem on your property.  Do I have that correct?

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
Part of the moneys for the park came directly from the funds that the park board had set aside for a new park. To the gentleman that objected to my word repaving and the amount of roads that had been repaved, my number stands. The number for roads that have had work done on like tar and gravel and other such needs is over 150 miles.

No we are not a sleepy little town or pure country as this was back 40 years ago. We have had more work done in the last 8 years than has been done since I moved into Bedford in 1991. Let me clarify that, since I moved to Michigan back in 1984. I lived in Erie Township prior to 1991, so I know what Bedford was like prior to that time as well. Despite the economic downturn, we have had many openings and expansions of different businesses. That is terrific in these times. If you would like me to expand on those, I would be glad to just let me know.

I would dearly love to see a listing of the 26 miles of roads that were paved with blacktop in Bedford this year, like I said, I only know of a one mile stretch of Sterns and the current quarter mile stretch of Summerfield, list them here please. .

Call and ask for a list of what roads where paved.  Don't complain about it and ask others to answer your question.  Call the township.

Seems pretty simple doesn't it.

"Time to Talk" notes 150 miles of road work (although doesn't include a time frame or any details)

"Time to Talk" however, very graciously offers to expand the discussion noting "If you would like me to expand, I would be glad to just let me know"

"Chartres" accepts "Time to Talk's" gracious offer and requests a list of roads.  Hardly seems inappropriate since "Time to Talk" made it very clear that he/she would be glad to comply.

"Hondo" jumps in, in spite of the gracious offer by "Time to Talk" and essentially tells "Chartres" to do his own homework. 

"Time to Talk"

I assume that you are a big boy/girl; are able to speak for yourself; and don't need others intervening on your behalf.

I too am interested in the details on 150 miles of road that you have mentioned.  And since you have so graciously offered to provide additional details, I look forward to your response. 

I trust you will include important details like the sources of funding for each of the miles and who was really responsible for the work and securing the funding (road commission or township as the case may be) and not just who happened to be in office at the time and conveniently jumped on the "take credit" bandwagon.

In particular, I think it would help us all to understand the magnitude of Mr. Wilburn's contribution if you would note the specific roads and miles that Mr. Wilburn was totally responsible for securing funding; that were not already going to be done by the road commission or funded by the road commission.  Things like the specific grants that Mr. Wilburn secured, the amount of the grants, what roads the grants were for, the specific associated miles, would certainly help to clarify our understanding of his actual role.

As you might suspect, I really don't think that roads that were improved using money from the township general fund or the township road fund would be noteworthy of praise or special recognition for Mr. Wilburn.  Similarly, roads that the road commission already had on their list and that they were funding also would not seem appropriate to add to Mr. Wilburn's special list.   

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:24:47 PM by J Hoffa »

Offline Hondo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
Isn't that the point of a forum.  Some intervene in support of a particular point or view while others intervene to support a counterpoint?

I agree with you in that when a statement is made as a fact, then specific examples need to be provided when challenged. 

Offline Time to talk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
Packers fan, the answer to your question regarding the cemetaries, the last one that had any plots left at the time of the purchase was the one at Sterns Rd and Adler.

Chartres--- no one said that all of those miles was in 2012. I stated while he has been in office. I would also bet that you have friends and family living in the township who could get additional packs. Also there are a lot of natural ways as Packerfan and I both stated. And there are lots more. Undeveloped does apply to me as well and I have 4 neighboring properties that all add to the water I get. One of those owners literally came on my property while I was at work and dug a trench on my property so that their water would drain easier. Another day in the spring when my rear section is wetter than wet because of those properties one of those owners decided to have their trees trimmed. They had the tree rig on my property. When they left they left 12 inch deep ruts. Out of the 4 one tries to help with the problem. I am raising the level of my land naturally. And yes I know it was something of a swamp. I was also told that there is some quicksand under my driveway.
It is time to talk