Author Topic: Road Millage  (Read 6431 times)

Offline tatortots

• View Profile
Road Millage
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Nice article posted concerning a possible 1-mil road millage on the November ballot.  I have a few questions. Who received this survey? Myself, nor any of my neighbors or friends saw this survey.  I'm interested to know who the heck they sent it to.  As for the millage itself, I will be vocal in its defeat.  We pay enormous amounts in property taxes, and state income taxes that at no point should we allow government to neglect it's job to justify a new tax on its citizens.

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
Re: Road Millage
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
This survey was sent out months ago in the blue monthly newsletter the township sends out.  As I recall, residents were asked to complete it and send it back in.

Offline KeepItPositive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Nice article posted concerning a possible 1-mil road millage on the November ballot.  I have a few questions. Who received this survey? Myself, nor any of my neighbors or friends saw this survey.  I'm interested to know who the heck they sent it to.  As for the millage itself, I will be vocal in its defeat.  We pay enormous amounts in property taxes, and state income taxes that at no point should we allow government to neglect it's job to justify a new tax on its citizens.

This is a Bedford-based tax to fix Bedford roads which I will support.  The township did not create this problem, but are being innovative in trying to fix it.  Our state goverment screwed up our roads.   One of the few times that people can vote on taxes is at the local and school level, and that is where the voters seem to want to take out their frustration.  Your passion should be directed at Lansing, where our legislators continue to rob us by taking money from certain programs to pay for others...for instance taking a percentage of the gas tax to pay for goverment pork (and by the way, gas taxes and plate fees are the ONLY thing that pay for our roads - not any of the other taxes you listed) and by taking money away from the state education fund to pay for other government services like our over-priced prisons. I'm fed up, but I'm not going to take it out on everyone in Bedford.  Our roads are terrible and we need to take care of them ourselves, neither the county or the state are going to help us.

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »

This is a Bedford-based tax to fix Bedford roads which I will support.  The township did not create this problem, but are being innovative in trying to fix it.  Our state government screwed up our roads.   One of the few times that people can vote on taxes is at the local and school level, and that is where the voters seem to want to take out their frustration.  Your passion should be directed at Lansing, where our legislators continue to rob us by taking money from certain programs to pay for others...for instance taking a percentage of the gas tax to pay for government pork (and by the way, gas taxes and plate fees are the ONLY thing that pay for our roads - not any of the other taxes you listed) and by taking money away from the state education fund to pay for other government services like our overpriced prisons. I'm fed up, but I'm not going to take it out on everyone in Bedford.  Our roads are terrible and we need to take care of them ourselves, neither the county or the state are going to help us.
KIP, I agree with you, I have had it up to here with people outside of our area saying how bad our roads are, it is ruining local  business too.

I knew this was coming, but all the blame cannot be put on the state, it is mostly with MCRC and Bedford. I was talking to an official from the state, I had made numerous calls for help on the roads this past winter.

HE SAID, AND I QUOTE:. If you had a hole in your roof, and when it rained, would you wait till the neighbor told you you had a roof leak to fix it.

WHY DID THE TOWNSHIP LET IT GET TO THIS POINT. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE LEADERSHIP EXPERTISE TO SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL A FEW YEARS AGO, THEY JUST IGNORED IT TILL WE ALL COMPLAINED.

I think if this is presented, someone should make a motion to add that any of the current board members cannot control the the money from this levy. That a new board be set up from recommendation of a personal submittal of experience and not by popular favoritism of the current board, to set guideline for this new fund.

or else, I believe you will see misuse of this money, like they did with the sewer fund for use of the cemetery.

I will vote no, IF! there are no rules set forth with how this will be managed. I DO NOT TRUST THE CURRENT BOARD.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
I didn't see the survey but my wife now tells me she though it was okay to pay more taxes to fix the roads and sent it in.  I told her the extra tax would come out of her allowance.  Different story now.  Bedford has always gotten the short end of the cash flowing back from Lansing so I have mixed feelings about this new tax.   How can it be kept out of the hands of MCRC?  Why does Bedford have to have MCRC fix the roads.  Why don't they ask for bids if they want something fixed.  If a private contractor can do it cheaper than MCRC than so be it.  MCRC is far from experts in building and maintaining roads so don't give us the crap that nobody else can do it right.

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »
I didn't see the survey but my wife now tells me she though it was okay to pay more taxes to fix the roads and sent it in.  I told her the extra tax would come out of her allowance.  Different story now.  Bedford has always gotten the short end of the cash flowing back from Lansing so I have mixed feelings about this new tax.   How can it be kept out of the hands of MCRC?  Why does Bedford have to have MCRC fix the roads.  Why don't they ask for bids if they want something fixed.  If a private contractor can do it cheaper than MCRC than so be it.  MCRC is far from experts in building and maintaining roads so don't give us the crap that nobody else can do it right.

If Bedford became a city, it would get a lot more in monetary funding from the state. If I am to pay what I believe will be substantially higher taxes here in Bedford, and get zilch in return, I would rather find a way to vote to become a city instead of a township.

PS. a township can get a way with murder, where a city has to be accountable to the state more.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
lots of other downsides to being a city or even charter township.  Those entitiies can make a lot of changes and increase fees and taxes that are prohibited in a pure township structure.

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »
lots of other downsides to being a city or even charter township.  Those entitiies can make a lot of changes and increase fees and taxes that are prohibited in a pure township structure.
Huh...??? that does not make sense

brighton11

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
Notices came in the mailbox with the monthly letter.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
maybe you should read up...Charter townships and cities can  increase some taxes by a greater percentage without citizens vote than townships like Bedford.

Offline Peter Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »
Also, cities pay more in property taxes....considerably more--up to 50-60%.  Generally the city will take over things like snow removal and garbage pick up.  You will no longer be able to choose your garbage collector based on price and service.  The city picks one and you WILL pay it on your property taxes. 
Instead of me or a neighbor clearing our road, the city would do it...at our expense, of course.  And the snow would get cleared whenever they get around to it.

(just a couple points)

The same board that you don't trust (or a similar board) would be making even more decisions for you.

No. 
No City. 
Not EVER.

Offline 2012Bedford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
Also, cities pay more in property taxes....considerably more--up to 50-60%.  Generally the city will take over things like snow removal and garbage pick up.  You will no longer be able to choose your garbage collector based on price and service.  The city picks one and you WILL pay it on your property taxes. 
Instead of me or a neighbor clearing our road, the city would do it...at our expense, of course.  And the snow would get cleared whenever they get around to it.

(just a couple points)

The same board that you don't trust (or a similar board) would be making even more decisions for you.

No. 
No City. 
Not EVER.

Peter, if our taxes keep going up and I think we have not seen the end of it, It would give us a bigger bang for our tax dollar. Also, we would be entitle to more government money like Toledo. In the past 2 years they have gotten about 200Mil for roads and other project, we are not eligible for that.

Offline J Hoffa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »

I think if this is presented, someone should make a motion to add that any of the current board members cannot control the the money from this levy. That a new board be set up from recommendation of a personal submittal of experience and not by popular favoritism of the current board, to set guideline for this new fund.

or else, I believe you will see misuse of this money, like they did with the sewer fund for use of the cemetery.

I will vote no, IF! there are no rules set forth with how this will be managed. I DO NOT TRUST THE CURRENT BOARD.

I share your concern regarding accountability on the use of funding from any levy.  

In addition to the sewer fund you noted, I am not about to forget how the township enlisted a citizen's advisory group to help them formulate the library “remodel” project; which, in my opinion, ranks as one of most misleading and misrepresented levies that we have seen.  The library levy illustrated that you can not trust the people that presented it and that commonly understood words like “remodel” can be used in levy language to really mean demolishing an entire 14,000 square foot structure (if you simply leave standing a few blocks of an existing wall).  

A new road board like you propose, certainly sounds like a good idea; however, I don't know how we can be assured that we won't just have the same issues.  Any new board may be plagued with problems similar to our existing ruling body or any group that has control over funds.  For example, who selects the members?  I suspect that if there is some type of selection process, then there will be politics and favors at work behind the scene to choose the members.  Before long, we may see a path of dollars leading to the repair of roads of the politically wired brotherhood.

From my perspective, if we can not trust the current board to fairly administer funding for roads (as well as our existing programs) then they need to be held accountable directly and replaced with a group that can be trusted.  I suppose that “tar and feathering” is out of the question?

Regardless, I am not convinced that creating another citizen's group to “remodel” our roads is necessarily the simple answer either.  It does seem clear that our roads are never going to get fixed if we decide to wait for the state or the county.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:27:28 AM by J Hoffa »

Offline tatortots

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
I'm confused. How is creating a new tax "innovative" in fixing our roads?  That is absurd. It's the easy way out. The fact is.. we have existing funding setup to maintain our roads. Wether it is through license and plate fees, or gas taxes.. the funding is there for a reason. Now.. I do not claim to be privy to some insider information like some of you claim, however.. I am wise enough to understand that if we allow MCRC, or Lansing to neglect it's responsibilities and we allow them with no consequence and just add a new tax to cover up the underlying issue.. where does it end? My point is.. we have other means at our disposal to hold them accountable, however we lack the intelligence and where with all to actually do something. Our elected officials are not standing up for us as township residents and holding Monroe accountable, instead.. they would rather not make waves to get other favors in return.

How any of you are OK with a new road millage when we already pay a tax for that very reason blows my mind. You claim that our bad roads deter business and reduce property values... would not higher taxes reach the same result? Hold them accountable, put them over a fire and roast them if needed. The funding is there.

Offline StopTheBurning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
The funding might have been there but they spend it stupidly.  I still say the millions dollars or more they spent a year ago rebuilding  1500 feet or more of Sterns because the ditch going under Sterns near Summerfield was in need of repair is another reason why our roads don't get fixed.